NIT Jamshedpur CSE Syllabus PART II
Fundamental File Processing Operations – Fundamental File Structure Concepts – Managing Files and Records – Indexing – Consequential Processing and the Sorting of Large Files – Multilevel Indexing and B-Trees – Indexed Sequential File Access and B+ Trees – Hashing – Extendible Hashing – External sorting – Secondary storage algorithms.
1. Folk, Zoellick, Riccardi; File Structures: An Object Oriented Approach with C++, 2nd Edition, Pearson
2. Gio Wiederhold, Database Design, 2nd Edition, MGH, 2001.
CS204 DATA STRUCTURES LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Implementation of ordered lists -Stacks – Queues- Applications of Stacks and Queues — Generic ADTs –
Trees – General tree – Binary tree — Search Trees – BST – AVL Trees – Splaying – B-Trees – B(+)-Trees – Trie –
C-trie — Sorting algorithms – Graph traversals – Shortest paths – Spanning Trees – DFT Applications of graphs
– Fundamental File Processing Operations – Object Oriented Support for Indexed, Entry-Sequenced Files of
Data Objects – Hashed Files – Merging – Sort-Merging packages – Paged Binary Trees – Multi list and Inverted
Files – Indexed Sequential File Access – Hashing and Extendible Hashing – External Sorting.
EC238 BASIC ELECTRONICS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Characteristics of semiconductor devices Diode, BJT, FET., Transistor biasing., Zener diode application as a
regulator, Frequency Response of single stage CE Amplifier., R.C. Phase shift oscillator., Integrator and
Differentiators, Clippers and Clampers., Rectifiers and Filters., Op-amp Inverting and non inverting amplifier.,
Op-amp Integrator and Differentiator Circuits.
CS251 OBJECT ORIENTED PROGRAMMING (3-0-0)3
Object Oriented Thinking – Messages and Methods – OO Design – Software Components – Design Paradigms
– Inheritance – Mechanisms for software reuse – Polymorphism – AWT Class – Input output Streams.
1. Timothy Budd, Understanding Object Oriented Programming with Java, AW, 1999.
2. Herbert Schildt, Java 2 Complete Reference, 5rh Edition, TMH, 2010.
CS252 COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE (4-0-0)4
Basic Structure – Functional units – Bus structure – Addressing Methods – Instructions – Instruction Sequencing
– Assembly language program – Flow Control – Power PC example – Processing Unit – Hardwired control –
Micro programmed Control – Memory – Performance Considerations – Arithmetic and Branching Conditions –
Computer Peripherals – I/O – Interrupts – DMA – Synchronous and asynchronous busses – Standard I/O
1. Hamacher, Vranesic, Zaky, Computer Organization, 5th Edition, MGH, 2002.
2. Wiiliam Stallings, Computer Organization and Architecture Designing for Performance, 8th Edition, Pearson
CS253 DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (4-0-0)4
Entity Relationship model, Relational model – structure and operations, query languages – Relational Algebra
– Relational Calculus – Mapping ER model to relation form. Features of SQL. Functional Dependencies –
normalization process. Multi valued dependencies. Query optimization Transaction processing concepts.
Concurrency Control and recovery. Security and Authorization.
B.Tech. Computer Science and Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. Elamsri, Navathe, Somayajulu and Gupta, Database Concepts, Pearson Edu, 2006.
2. Raghu Ramakrishnan, Johannes Gehrke, Database Management Systems, MGH 2003.
CS254 SYSTEMS PROGRAMMING (3-0-0)3
PC Hardware – Assembly Language Basics – Program Logic and Control – Keyboard and Screen Processing
– Macro definitions and Linking – Advanced Screen and Keyboard Processing – Disk Processing – DOS
Memory Management – Assemblers – Macro processors – Linkers – Loaders.
1. Peter Abel, IBM PC Assembly Language and Programming, 5th Edition, Pearson Education, 2003.
2. Sivarama P. Dandamudi, Introduction to Assembly Language Programming, Springer 1st Edition, 2003.
EC287 IC APPLICATIONS (3-0-0)3
Operational Amplifiers: Monolithic operational amplifiers. Application of Linear ICs: Operational Amplifier
Applications: Inverting and Non-inverting Amplifiers, Comparators, Sine wave oscillators, Astable and
Monostable multivibrators, Logarithmic amplifier. Other ICs: 555 timer and its applications, uA 723 and its
applications. Study of Logic Families, Combinational Logic: IC Versions of combinational logic circuits multiplexer,
decoder, demultiplexer, tristate buffers, binary adders. Sequential Logic: Semiconductor memories, Data
Conversion Circuits, specifications.
1. J. Millman, Microelectronics, MGH, 1987.
2. Ramakant A. Gayakwad, Operational Amplifiers and Linear IC Technology, PHI, 1987.
3. Taub and Schilling, Digital Electronics, McGraw Hill, 1986.
EC288 IC APPLICATIONS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Study and Operation of IC testers, pulse generator and digital trainer. Measurement of Op.amp parameters,
Op.amp monostable and astable multivibrators. 555 timer: Monostable and astable multivibrators, Characteristics
of TTL NAND gate:, Study of flip-flops: RS, JK, T and D, Mod-N counter using 7490 and 74190, Mod-N counter
using 7492 and 74192, MUX and decoder ICSs(IC 74153 and 74138), Shift register IC 7495.
CS 255 DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Familiarization of Oracle RDBMS, SQL* Plus, Design and development of database using Oracle,
implementation of application with GUI, Implementation of relational operators using C/C++, DSL, Front end
development, Case study/project.
CS256 PROGRAMMING LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Fixed Point Arithmetic – Text Processing – Keyboard and screen processing – Macro writing – Disk Processing
– Memory Resident Programs – DOS file Management – Copy Protection schemes – Implementation of a
simple editor – Construction of Assemblers.
SM335 ENGINEERING ECONOMICS AND ACCOUNTANCY (3-0-0)3
Basic concepts of national income, inflation, economic policies, financial accounting, preparation of cost
sheet, concepts of financial management and smart investment.
1. Henry M.S., Engineering Economics Principles, MGH, 2011.
2, Jain and Narang, Accounting, Kalyani Publishers, 2011.
CS301 THEORY OF COMPUTATION (4-0-0)4
Finite Automata – Deterministic, non-deterministic – Regular expressions – equivalence – Properties – Pumping
Lemma – Context Free Grammars – Push Down Automata – Context Free Languages – Properties – Turing
Machines – Computable Functions – Undecidability.
B.Tech. Computer Science and Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. John E. Hopcroft, Rajeev Motwani, Jeffrey D Ullman, Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and
Computation, 2nd Edition, Pearson, 2001
2. Michael Sipser, Introduction to Theory of Computation, 3rd Edition, Course Technology, 2012.
CS302 OPERATING SYSTEMS (4-0-0)4
Batch, iterative, time sharing and real-time systems – operating system structure – concurrent processes –
synchronization – CPU scheduling – Deadlocks – Memory management – Virtual memory – secondary storage
management – file systems – I/O systems – Mass-storage structure – Protection – Security.
1. A. Silberschatz, Galvin, Gagne, Operating System Concepts, 8th Edition, John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
2. Andrew S Tanenbaum, Modern Operating Systems, 3rd Edition, Pearson Education, 2007.
CS303 DATA WAREHOUSING AND DATA MINING (4-0-0)4
Data Warehouse vs Databases – KDD process – Data pre-processing – Data Warehousing and OLAP
technologies – Data Cube Computation, Multi Dimensional modelling, data warehouse architecture, Data
warehouse implementation – Data Mining techniques – Association rules, classification, clustering.
1. Jiawei Han and Kamber, M, Data Mining Concepts and Techniques, 2nd Edition, Elsevier Publications,
2. Vipinkumar, Michael Steinbach, Introduction to Data Mining, 1st Edition, Addition-Wesley, 2006.
CS304 SOFTWARE ENGINEERING (4-0-0)4
Introduction to Software Engineering – A generic view of process – Process models – Software Engineering
Practice – System Engineering – Requirements Engineering – Building the Analysis model – Design Engineering
– Creating an Architectural Design – Modelling Component level design – Testing Strategies – Testing – Tactics
– Product Metrics – Project Management Metrics for Process and projects – Estimation – Project Scheduling –
Risk Management – Quality Management – Change Management.
1. Roger S. Pressman, Software Engineering – A Practitioner’s Approach, 6th Edition, MGH, 2005
2. Ian Sommerville, Software Engineering, 9th Edition, Pearson Publishers, 2010.
CS305 OPERATING SYSTEMS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Unix Commands Implementation (6-10),Signal handling, Matrix and Graph operations using pthreads, Classical
synchronization problems using IPC and pthreads, Thread Library implementation, CPU scheduling algorithms
as part of thread library and also using IPC, Deadlock handling algorithms, Page replacement algorithms
using pthreads and IPC, Sample file system inside disk image file.
CS306 KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
This laboratory provides hands on exposure on building of warehouse, analyzing the data using OLAP tools,
and implementation of mining techniques using mining tools like SPSS, Weka etc.
CS307 CASE TOOLS LABORATORY (0-0-3) 2
Problem Analysis and Project Planning – Software Requirement Analysis – Modelling – Software Developments
and Debugging – Software Testing.
CS351 LANGUAGE PROCESSORS (4-0-0)3
Phases of Compilers – Compiler Construction Tools – Bootstrapping – lexical analyzer – Parsing – Top-down –
Operator precedence – LR Parsing – Ambiguous Grammars – Storage Allocation – Symbol Table – Syntax
Directed Translation – Intermediate Code – Code Generation – Simple Code Generator – DAG – Peephole
B.Tech. Computer Science and Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. Aho, Ravi Sethi, Monica S Lam, Ullman, Compilers – Principles, Techniques and Tools, 2nd Edition,
2. Randy Allen, Ken Kennedy, Optimizing Compilers for Modern Architectures, Morgan Kauffmann, 2001.
CS352 COMPUTER NETWORKS (4-0-0)4
Network structures – Network Architecture – OSI model – LAN protocols – IEEE standard 802 – Ethernet –
Token Bus and Token Ring – Error Detection and Correction – Sliding Window protocols – Routing algorithms
– Congestion control algorithms – Internetworking – Network Layer in Internet IP – Transport Layer in Internet
– UDP, TCP – Remote Procedure Call – Implementation and semantics of RPC – E-mail Protocol and File
1. Larry L Peterson, Bruce S Davis, Computer Networks, 5th Edition, Elsevier, 2012.
2. Andrew S. Tanenbaum, David J Wetherall, Computer Networks, 5th Edition, Pearson Edu, 2010.
CS353 LANGUAGE PROCESSORS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Lex and Yacc – Generation of Intermediate Code for Expression Grammar – Construction of Predictive Parsing
Table – LR Parsing Tables – Parsing Actions.
CS354 COMPUTER NETWORKS LABORATORY (0-0-3)2
Error Correction and Detection – IP address Conversion functions – Client Server example using Pipes,
FIFOs, Message Queues, Shared Memory – Connection Oriented Client Server with TCP – Connectionless
Client Server with UDP – Concurrent Server – Multi-protocol Server – Internet Super Server – Chat Server –
CS361 DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF ALGORITHMS (3-0-0)3
Algorithm Analysis – Asymptotic notation – Amortization – Greedy method – Divide and conquer – Dynamic
programming – example problems in each case of design methods – Max flow min cut Algorithms – Strings
and Pattern matching Algorithms – Backtracking, and Branch and Bound methods – Network Algorithms – P,
NP, NP-hard, NP-complete classes.
1. M T Goodrich, Roberto Tamassia, Algorithm Design, John Wiley & Sons 2001.
2. Horowitz, Sartaj Sahni, S Rajasekaran, Computer Algorithms, 2nd Edition, Silicon Pr., 2007.
CS362 COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE (3-0-0)3
Analyzing and modelling neural responses- neural encoding, firing rate and spike statistics, neural decoding.
Information theory – Entropy and mutual information. Modelling neurons and networks – neuroelectronics,
Hodgkin – Huxley model, integrate and fire neuronal models. Network models- Firing rate models- feed forward
and recurrent networks, winner-takes all situation, associative memory. Excitatory and inhibitory networks.
Plasticity and learning-Hebb’s rule, Delta rule, unsupervised and supervised learning. Representational
learning-density factor, principal component analysis, the Helmholtz machine.
1. Peter Dayan and L F Abbott, Theoretical Neuroscience, MIT Press, 2001.
2. Christopher Koeli, Electrophysics of Neuron, 1st Edition, MIT Press, 2004.
CS363 WEB TECHNOLOGIES (3-0-0)3
Processing and Regular Expressions, Form processing and Business logic, Dynamic content, Database
connectivity, Applets and Servlets, JDBC connectivity, JSP and Web development Frameworks.
1. Deitel, Deitel and Nieto, Internet and Worldwide Web – How to Program, 5th Edition, PHI, 2011.
2. Bai and Ekedhi, The Web Warrior Guide to Web Programming, 3rd Edition, Thomson, 2008.