NIT Jamshedpur Civil Engineering Syllabus
NIT Jamshedpur Civil Engineering Syllabus PART IV
GROUND IMPROVEMENT TECHNIQUES
Need and Scope – Principles of Ground Modification – Mechanical Methods and their Suitability; Hydraulic
Modification by Well Point Methods – Electro osmosis and pre loading techniques; Physical and Chemical
Modifications by Using Different Admixtures; Soil Reinforcement Principles and Technology – Ground Anchors
– Soil Nailing – Soil confinement Applications; Geotextiles – Overview – Properties – Functions and Applications.
1. Bell, F.G., Engineering Treatment of Soils, Taylor and Francis, New York, 1993.
2. Manfred R. Haussmann, Engineering Principles of Ground Modification, McGraw Hill Pub. Co., New
3. Purushothama Raj, P, Ground Improvement Techniques, Laxmi Publications (P) Limited, 2005.
CE 426 ROCK ENGINEERING AND UNDERGROUND STRUCTURES (3-0-0) 3
Geological considerations, Index properties, Rock mass classifications, Strength and failure criteria for rocks
and rock masses, Insitu stresses in rocks and their measurement, Deformation behaviour of rocks and rock
masses, Time dependent behaviour of rocks, Application of rock mechanics to underground structures,
slopes and foundations, Improving the properties of insitu rock masses, Ground response support methods,
1. Brady B.H.G. and Brown E.T. Rock Mechanics for Underground Mining, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
2. Goodman R.E., Introduction to Rock Mechanics, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1989.
3. Ramamurthy T., Engineering in Rocks for Slopes, Foundations and Tunnels, PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd.
CE427 REMOTE SENSING (3-0-0) 3
Aerial Photogrammetry; Stereoscopy – Parallax bar – Measurement of heights and slopes – Photographs
and Mosaics; Photo Interpretation – Ground truth verification; Remote Sensing -LANDSAT, SPOT, and IRS
Series; Data products; Digital image processing techniques; Applications
1. Floyd F. Sabins, Remote Sensing Principles and Interpretation, W.H. Freeman and Co. 2007.
2. Lillisand T.M and Kiefer R.W, Remote Sensing and Image Interpretation, John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
3. Paul R. Wolf: Elements of Photogrammetry, with Air Photo Interpretation and Remote Sensing, McGraw
Hill International Book Company, 2000.
CE 428 ADVANCED SURVEYING (3-0-0) 3
Astronomical surveying, Construction and Boundary surveys: equipment for construction surveys, sources
of errors, land surveys, Triangulation and Baseline Measurements, Theory of errors, Mapping and map
projections, Total stations and GPS surveying:
1. Borden D. Dent, Jeffrey Troguson, Thomas W. Hodler, Cartography: Thematic Map Design, McGraw-Hill
Higher Education, 2008.
2. Gopi, Advanced Surveying: Total Station, GIS and Remote Sensing, Pearson Education India, 2007
3. Hoffman.B, H.Lichtenegga and J.Collins, Global Positioning System – Theory and Practice, Springer –
Verlag Publishers, 2001
4. Punmia B. C, Ashok K. Jain, Arun K. Jain, Higher Surveying, Laxmi Publications, 2005
CE429 PAVEMENT ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Pavement materials, Stresses in flexible pavements, Stresses in rigid pavements, Factors affecting pavement
design, Design of flexible pavements, Design of rigid pavements.
B.Tech. Civil Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. Huang, Y.H., Pavement Analysis and Design, Pearson Prentice Hall, New Jersey, USA, 2004.
2. Mallick, R.B. and T. El-Korchi, Pavement Engineering – Principles and Practice, CRC Press, Taylor and
Francis Group, Florida, USA, 2009.
3. Papagiannakis, A.T. and E.A. Masad, Pavement Design and Materials, John Wiley and Sons, New
Jersey, USA, 2008.
4. Nick Thom, Principles of Pavement Design, Thomas Telford, 2008.
CE430 LOW VOLUME ROADS (3-0-0) 3
Low Volume Road – Planning and Alignment, Geometric Design Standards, Road Materials and Pavement
Design, Drainage Design, Construction and Specifications, Use of Waste Materials, Quality Control and
1. IRC SP 20: Rural Road Manual, Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi, 2002.
2. IRC SP 72-2007, Guidelines for the Design of Flexible Pavements for Low Volume Rural Roads, Indian
Roads Congress, New Delhi, 2007.
3. IRC SP: 62-2004, Guidelines for the Design and Construction of Cement Concrete Pavement for Rural
Roads, Indian Roads Congress, New Delhi, 2004.
4. IRC SP: 63-2004, Guidelines for the Use of Interlocking Concrete Block Pavement, Indian Roads
Congress, New Delhi, 2004.
CE431 RAILWAY ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Alignment of Railway Lines, Permanent Way, Track maintenance and Rehabilitation, Railway accidents,
Rolling Stock, Railway sections and yards, Signaling and interlocking, Design of tracks for high speeds.
1. Chandra S. and M.M. Agarwal, Railway Engineering, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, India, 2007.
2. Saxena, S.C. and S.P. Arora, Railway Engineering, Dhanpat Rai and Sons, New Delhi, India, 1997.
3. Agarwal, M.M., Indian Railway Track, Prabha and Co., New Delhi, India, 1988.
4. Rangwala, S.C., Principles of Railway Engineering, Charotar Publishing House, Anand, India, 1988.
CE432 TRAFFIC ENGINEERING (3-0-0) 3
Components of traffic system, Traffic characteristics, Traffic Stream Models, Traffic accidents, Traffic Signal
Design, Design of At grade Intersections, Intelligent Transport System.
1. Fred L. Mannering, Scott S. Washburn, Kilareski Walter P., Principles of Highway Engineering and Traffic
Analysis, 4th Edition, Wiley India Pvt Ltd., 2011.
2. L.R. Kadiyali, Traffic Engineering and Transportation Planning, Khanna Publishers, 2011.
3. May, A.D., Traffic Flow Fundamentals, 1st Edition, Prentice Hall, 1989.
4. Roger P. Roess, Elena S. Prassas and William R. Mc Shane, Traffic Engineering, 4th Edition, Prentice
CE451 CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT (3-0-0) 3
Organisation Management – Project planning techniques-Bar charts – Networks Principles of PERT/CPM –
Safety engineering in constructions – Tendering and contracts – Value engineering-Selection of equipment –
Operating characteristics of construction equipment – Planning of construction facilities – Earthwork
construction – Cement concrete construction- Construction of Piles – Construction of Cofferdams – Construction
B.Tech. Civil Engineering – Scheme and Syllabi
1. B.C. Punmia and Khandelwal K.K., Project Planning and Control with PERT and CPM, 4th Edition,
Laxmi Pub. Delhi, 2002.
2. Choudhary S, Project Management, 1st Edition, Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Co, April 1989.
3. Puerifoy R.L., Construction Planning Equipment and Methods, 5th Edition, McGraw-Hill Co, November,
EE485 MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES AND INSTRUMENTATION (3-0-0)3
Measurement attributes – Measurement Systems – Characteristics – Transducers – Classification – functions
– Measurement of Pressure – Torque – strain – Velocity, acceleration and Vibrations – Measurement of
climatalogical variables. Non Destructive Testing (NDT): Principles, Techniques and methods of testing for
Health monitoring of structures – Testing of composites.
1. A K Sawhney, A Course in Electrical and Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation, 17th Edition,
Dhanpat Rai & Co, 2008.
2. Doebelin, Measurement Systems, Applications and Design, Tata McGraw Hill 2008.
3. J. Prasad and CGK Nair, Non-Destructive Test and Evaluation of Materials, Tata McGraw Hill 2008.
4. Thomas G. Beckwith, Roy D. Marangoni and John H. Lienhard, Mechanical Measurements, 6th Edition,
Prentice Hall, 2006.
CE461 DESIGN OF EARTHQUAKE RESISTANT STRUCTURES (3-0-0)3
Causes and Effects of Earthquakes – Characteristics of Earthquake – Seismic zone mapping – Concepts of
seismic design – Structural systems – Response in elevation, plan – influence of structural classification –
Earth quake loading as per IS-1893-2002 – Seismic Coefficient method – Applications to multi-storied building
frames – Water tanks – Ductility of R.C. structures – Detailing as per IS-13920-1993 – Soft story concept –
1. A.K. Chopra, Dynamics of Structures, 3rd Edition, Pearson, 2007.
2. I.S. 1893-2002, Code of Practice for Earthquake Resistant Construction of Buildings, BIS, New Delhi,
3. Pankaj Agarwal and Manish Shrikhande, Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures, Prentice Hall
CE462 ADVANCED REINFORCED CONCRETE DESIGN (3-0-0)3
Retaining walls – Counterfort type – Grid floors – Flat Slabs – RC Water Tanks – Underground – Elevated –
Ring beam design – Staging design – Intz Tanks – RC Bunkers and Silos – Chimneys.
1. N. Krishna Raju, Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design, CBS Publishers and Distributors, 2007.
2. Punmia B.C, Ashok Kr. Jain, Arun Kr. Jain, RCC Designs (Reinforced Concrete Design), 10th Edition,
Lakshmi Publishers, 2006.
CE463 REPAIR AND REHABILITATION OF STRUCTURES (3-0-0)3
Aging of structures – Performance of structures – Need for rehabilitation – Distress in concrete / steel structures
– Damage assessment and Evaluation models – Damage testing methods – NDT – Core samples – Methods
of repairs – Repair and maintenance of buildings – IS standards – Bridge repairs – Seismic strengthening –
Rehabilitation methods – grouting – detailing – imbalance of structural stability – case studies.
1. RN Raikar, Diagnosis and treatment of Structures in Distress, R and D Centre, Structural Designers
and Consultants, New Bombay, India,1994.
2. VK Raina, Concrete Bridge Practice Construction, Maintenance and Rehabilitation, 2nd Edition, Shroff
Publishers and Distributors, August, 2010.
3. WH Ransom, Building Failures, Diagnosis and Avoidance, 2nd Edition, E and F.N. Spon Publishers,