NIT Jalandhar Syllabus Psychology of Human Behavior
HM –101 Psychology of Human Behaviour
1. Psychological Perspectives and Approaches: Nature and Scope of psychology; historical
perspective; sub-fields and applications; methods of psychology.
2. Perception: Sensory and perceptual processes; pattern recognition; attention; perception of objects, space and time; feature and attribute perception; perceptual organization; plasticity of perception; illusions; states of consciousness.
3. Learning: Models and theories of learning; learning paradigms; skill acquisition and transfer of
learning; language acquisition.
4. Memory: Functions and processes; models and theoretical views; influences on memory processes; neuro-physiological perspective; aspects of memory deterioration and improvement.
5. Higher Cognitive Processes: Language and thought; problem solving; decision processes.
6. Motivation and Emotion: Physiological and cognitive bases of motivation; expression and
perception of emotions; physiological correlates and theories of emotion.
7. Intelligence: Nature of intelligence; theories and models of intelligence; psychological tests and assessment of intelligence; Issues in intelligence testing; creativity.
8. Personality: Nature and theories of personality; personality assessment; determinants of personality; psychological conflict and conflict handling mechanisms.
9. Individual Differences: Genetic and environmental bases of individual differences in human
Total number of lectures 45
1. Morgan, c.T., King, R.A., Weisz, J.R. and Schopler, J. Introduction to Psychology. Singapore:
2. Atkinson, R.L., Atkinson, R.C., and Hilgard, E.R. Introduction to Psychology. Harcourt Brace
3. Baron, R.A. Psychology. New Delhi: Prentice Hall of India.