NIT Jalandhar Syllabus for Architecture and Town planning
Architecture and Town planning Syllabus for
CE 441 Architecture and Town planning [3 0 0 3]
Elements of Design: Line direction. Shape, size, texture, value and colour, balance, scale and
Principles of Design: Repetition, gradation, harmony, contrast and unity, creation of 2 D and 3 D
The Industrial Revolution: The age of revivals, the emergence of engineer, new materials and
techniques and the evolution of balloon frame and steel frame.
Origin of Modern Architecture: definition and concept of modern architecture, various pioneers
of modern architecture.
Town Planning: Definition and meaning, age of planning, scope and motives of planning, brief
history of town planning – its origin and growth, historically development of town planning in
ancient valley civilizations. Indus Nile Tigris and Euphrates, Greek Roman, Medieval and
Renaissance town planning
New Concepts: Garden city movement, Linear city and concentric city concepts, Neighbourhood
and Radburm, La-cite industrille, Radiant city to present day planning.
Planning Principles: Types of town and their functions, types of town planning – Grid Iron,
Radial, Spider webs, Irregular and Mixed, their advantages and disadvantages.
Planning Practice and Techniques: Zoning – its definition, procedure and districts, height and
bulk zoning, F. A. R., Master Plan – Meaning, preparation and realization, the scope of city
planning – city rehabilitation and slum clearance.
1. Cherry, Gordon,”Urban Planning Problems”,Board Hill, London,1974.
2. Sundaram,K.V.,”Urban and Regional Planning in India” Vikas Publishing house(P)
3. Gallion A B.,Eisner S., “The Urban Pattern” Van Nostrand reinhold,New York,1993.
4. Jon Lang,”A concise history of Modern Architecture in India”,Permanent Black
5. Taurus Parke,”A City with view Florence”, I.B.Taurus Publishers, New York, 1994.