NIT Jalandhar Syllabus Electrical Science 1st Year
IC/EC – 101 Electrical Science
Network Laws and Theorems: Network Laws for D.C. networks, Node voltage & mesh current methods, delta-star and star-delta conversion, classification of network elements, Principle of superposition, Thevenin’s & Norton’s Theorems.
Single Phase A.C. Circuits: 1-phase EMF generation, Effective and Average values of sinusoids and determination of form factor, Analysis of simple RLC-series circuits, Solution of parallel circuits and resonance.
Three Phase A.C. Circuits: 3-phase EMF generation, Delta and star connection, Line & phase quantities and relations, Solution of 3-phase circuits-balanced voltage & balanced load, Phasor diagrams, Measurement of power in three-phase circuits. Concept & working of wattmeter & A.C watt-hour meters.
Magnetic Circuits and Transformers: Analogy between electric & Magnetic circuits, Ampere’s circuital law, Solutions of Magnetic Circuits, Hysteresis and Eddy current losses, constructional details, EMF equation, rating and phasor diagrams on no-load & full-load, Equivalent circuits, Regulation and efficiency, Open-circuit & short-circuit tests.
Basic Semiconductor Concepts and Devices: Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, diffusion and drift currents, p-n junction under open-circuit, reverse-bias and forward-bias conditions, p-n junction in the breakdown region, Ideal diode, terminal characteristics of junction diode, load –line analysis of diode circuits,
Bipolar junction transistor-physical structure and modes of operation, transistor as a switch.
Feedback Amplifiers and Oscillators: Concept of feedback, positive and negative feedback, General feedback structure, Effect of positive and negative feedback on amplifier gain and bandwidth, advantages of negative feedback, basic principles of sinusoidal oscillators, Oscillation criteria.
Operational Amplifiers: Op-amp terminals, ideal Op-amp, equivalent model, Inverting and non-inverting configurations, Application of Op-amps. Power Supplies: Block diagram of power supply, Half-wave, full-wave and Bridge rectifiers, passive filers, Regulators, Line regulation and load regulation, Zener diode as voltage regulator, Working of Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS).
1. Del Torro, “Electrical Engineering fundamentals”, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi (1994).
2. Kothari D P and Nagrath I J, “Basic Electrical Engineering”, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi (1996).
3. Nagsarkar T K and Skhija M S, “Basic Electrical Engineering”, Oxford Univ. Press, New Delhi
4. John D Ryder, “Electronic Fundamentals and Applications”, 5th PHI, New Delhi.
5. Boylestad and Nashelsky, “Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory”, 8th Ed. Pearson Education
India, New Delhi (2002).
6. Edward Hughes, Ian McKenzie Smith, John Hiley, Keith Brown, “Hughes Electrical & Electronic
Technology”, 8th Ed., Pearson Education India, New Delhi (2002). IC/EC – 102 Electrical Science Laboratory
1. To measure the armature and field resistance of a DC Machine
2. To calibrate a test (moving iron) ammeter and a (dynamometer) wattmeter with respect to standard (DC PMMC) ammeter and voltmeters.
3. Verification of circuit theorems, Thevenin’s and Superposition theorems (with DC sources only).
4. To obtain voltage-current characteristics of incandescent lamps and fusing time-current
characteristics of fuse wire.
5. Measurement of current and voltages in R-L-C series circuit excited by (single phase) AC supply and to develop phasor diagram.
6. Open circuit and short circuit tests on a single-phase transformer and to obtain Pi-loss, Pc-loss
efficiency & regulation.
7. Connection and starting of a three-phase induction motor using direct on line (DOL), or star-delta starter.
8. Connection and measurement of power consumption of a fluorescent lamp.
9. Determination of open circuit characteristics (OCC) of a DC Machine.
10. Starting and speed control of a DC shunt motor.
11. Connection and testing of a single-phase energy meter (unit power factor load only).
12. Two-wattmeter method of measuring power in three-phase circuit (resistive load only).
13. To get familiar with the working knowledge of the following instruments:
(a) Cathode ray oscilloscope (CRO).
(b) Multimeters (Analog and Digital)
(c) Function generator
(d) Power supply
14. (a) To measure phase difference between two waveforms using CRO
(b) To measure an unknown frequency from Lissajous figures using CRO
15. (a) Plot the forward and reverse V-I characteristics of P-N junction diode
(b) Calculation of cut-involtage
(c) Study of Zener diode in breakdown region
16. To plot and study the input and output characteristics of BJT in common-emitter configuration
17. To find frequency response of a given amplifier and calculate its bandwidth
18. To get familiar with pin-configuration of typical op-amp (741) and its uses as:
(a) Inverting amplifier
(b) Non-inverting amplifier
(c) Summing amplifier
(d) Difference amplifier
19. Use of op-amp as
20. To assemble Wein Bridge oscillator circuit and calculation of oscillation-frequency and its
verification from the observed output
21. To assemble and test 5V/9 V DC regulated power supply and find its line-regulation and loadregulation