NIT Hamirpur Syllabus Water Resource Engineering
NIT Hamirpur Syllabus WATER RESOURCE ENGINEERING
WATER RESOURCE ENGINEERING
1. Water Resources: Surface and Ground water resources: its geographic distribution within India.
Water resources development projects – purposes and planning strategies. Intra? and Inter?basin
development concepts. Single? and Multi?purpose projects; Storage and Diversion schemes;
Conjunctive use of surface and ground water.
2. Stormwater Management & Frequency Analysis: Urban Hydrology; Quantity and Quality
Management, Issues; Detention and Retention systems, Histograms; Risk and Reliability;
Frequency Distributions; Estimation of Extreme Events
3. Hydraulics of alluvial rivers: regimes and morphology. Critical tractive force and resistance
relations. Suspended, Bed and Total loads. Meandering, Braiding, Aggradation and Degradation.
Routing of floods – reservoir and channel routing. Flood frequency studies, Flood forecasting
4. Managing our water resources: Erosion control and watershed development: their benefit
towards conservation of national water wealth. Rain water harnessing and recharge of ground
water: role of society and people’s participation for sustainable water resource development.
Mitigation strategies for flood damage: structural and non?structural measures. water
distribution: Delivery strategies, Command Area Development, System of regulation and control
of canal water, Outlets (modules), Assessment of canal revenue. Economics of water resources
1. Bedient, Philip B., and Huber, Wayne C., Hydrology and Floodplain Analysis, 2nd Edition,
Addison?Wesley Publishing, 1992.
2. McCuen, Richard H., Hydrologic Analysis and Design, Prentice?Hall, 1989.
3. Viessman, Knapp, Lewis and Harbaugh, Introduction to Hydrology, 3
Edition, Harper and Row
4. Ponce, Victor Miguel, Engineering Hydrology: Principles and Practices, Prentice?Hall, Inc.,