NIT Hamirpur Syllabus TRAFFIC ENGINEER
1. Traffic Engineering Elements: Vehicle Characteristics, Human factors and
driver characteristics, Road characteristics.
2. Traffic Engineering Studies and Analysis: Introduction to traffic studies, Traffic volume
studies, speed studies, origin and destination studies. Travel
time and delay studies, parking studies, accident studies.
3. Traffic Flow Characteristics: Nature of Traffic flow, Approaches to understand Traffic
Flow, Parameters connected with Traffic flow, Categories of Traffic flow,
Uninterrupted traffic flow model. Analysis of speed, flow and density relationship,
Empirical studies of traffic stream Characteristics
4. Fundamentals of Interrupted Traffic Flow: Shock waves, Traffic flow at signalized and
5. Intersection Control and Design: Introduction, Types of intersections, Design
considerations, Traffic control devices, Conflict areas at intersections, Types of
Intersection controls, Design of traffic signals, warrants for interchanges, Design of
6. Highway Capacity: Introduction, Highway capacity, Level of service, basic freeway
capacity studies, Multilane, Highway capacity, two lane Highway capacities.
1. Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning L R Kadyali
2. Transportation Engineering C J Khisty and B K Lall
3. Transportation Engineering and Planning C S Papacostas and P D Prevedouros
1. Traffic Flow Fundamentals Adolf D May
2. Traffic Engineering Mcshane and Roess