NIT Hamirpur Syllabus Hyuraulics and Hydraulic Machinery
NIT Hamirpur Syllabus HYDRAULICS AND HYDRAULIC MACHINERY
HYDRAULICS AND HYDRAULIC MACHINERY
1. Channel flow: Types of flow, Types of Channel, Velocity distribution, Chezy, Manning and Basin
formulae, for uniform flow, Most economical section, critical flow, Specific energy, specific force.
Computation of uniform flow and critical flow. Open channel flow: Non?Uniform flow, Dynamic
equation for gradually varied flow, computation for length of backwater curve, Rapidly Varied
flow ? hydraulic jump, types, uses. Surges in open channels.
2. Turbo machinery : Governing Equations, Hydrodynamic forces of jets on vanes, velocity
Triangles, Angular momentum principle, application to radial flow turbines. Turbines:
Classification, impulse and reaction turbines, characteristic curves, draft tubes, governing of
turbines, specific speed, unit quantities concept, similarity, cavitation, Pumps: Centrifugal pumps
? classification, work done, minimum starting speed, losses and efficiencies, specific speed,
multistage pumps, specific speed, characteristic curves, NPSH, Cavitation in pumps.
Reciprocating pumps ? types, effects of acceleration and frictional resistance, separation, Air
vessels, work saved by fitting air vessels.
1. Modi, P.N., and Seth, S.M., Hydraulics, Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines, Standard Book
Home, New Delhi, 2005.
2. Rajput,R.K., Text Book of Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machinery, S. Chand & Company, Ltd.,
New Delhi, 2005.
1. Douglas, J.F., Gasiorek, J.M and Swaffield, J.A., Fluid Mechanics 4th Edn. Pearson Education India,
2. Das M.M., Fluid Mechanics and Turbomachines, Prentice Hall of India (P) Ltd New Delhi, 2008.
3. Arorea, K.R. Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulic Machines, Standard Publishers and Distributors, New