NIT Hamirpur Syllabus FOUNDATION ENGINEERING
1. Stability Analysis: Stability of finite and infinite slopes, types of failures, different factors of safety,
determination of factor of safety by method of slices, swedish circle, friction circle, Bishop’s
method, Morgenstern Price method, Taylor’s stability number, location of critical circle,
stability analysis of earth dam slopes for different conditions. Design of filters and rock toe
2. Earth Pressure: Different types of earth pressures, states of plastic equilibrium Rankine’s
theory and Coulomb’s theory, influence of water table, surcharge, wall friction and
deformation on the earth pressure, application of Rankine’s and Coulomb’s theory to
cohesionless and cohesive soils, Cullman’s graphical method, stability considerations for
retaining walls, effect or earthquakes. Design of retaining walls.
3. Sheet pile wall: Different types of sheet pile walls:?free and fixed earth support, Design principles of
anchored bulk heads, arching in tunnels, open cut strutting and sheeting.
4. Foundations: Different types of loads on foundations, types of shallow and deep foundations,
footing, rafts, piles, wells, selection of foundation type, dewatering of foundations, type of
explorations, methods of boring, soil samples and samples.
5. Shallow foundations: Bearing capacity, terzaghi’s theory of, effect of foundation size, shape,
ground water table, determination of bearing capacity from building codes, plate load
test, penetration test, static and dynamic cone tests, Housel’s approach, bearing capacity of sands
and clays, settlements analysis of foundation. permissible settlements, design principles of
depth of foundation for different type of footing, principles of floating rafts, foundations on non?
6. Deep foundation: Types of piles based on function, materials and methods of construction, friction
and end bearing piles, static formulae?Engineering News and Hiley’s formula, Group action in piles,
block failures, settlement of pile groups in sands and clays pile load test, negative skin friction
and under reamed piles.
7. Well foundation: Elements, forces acting on well, lateral stability analysis, problems in sinking of
wells and remedial measures.
1. N.N. Som and S.C. Das, Theory and practice of foundation on design, Prentice?Hall, New Delhi
2. P. Purushothama Raj, Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering, Pearson Education, Delhi
3. Venkatramaiah,C., Geotechnical engineering, New Age International Publishers New Delhi
4. Brahma, S.P., Foundation engineering, Tata Mcgraw?Hill, Delhi
1. Das, Braja M., Principles of foundation engineering, Thomson, Australia
2. Brown, Robert. Wade, Practical foundation engineering handbook, McGraw?Hill, New York.
3. Ramiah, B.K. Hand book of soil mechanics and foundation engineering, Oxford and IBH