NIT Delhi ECE Syllabus Part III
NIT Delhi ECE Syllabus PART III
MICROPROCESSOR SYSTEMS Credits
Introduction to 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit microprocessors, 80X86 family assembly language programming, 8086 Minimum mode, Timing and Bus cycles, Addressing memory banks and I/O, Timing parameters, Design and testing of a simple 8086 based system, 8086 Interrupts, Interfacing peripheral Ics-8255, 8254, 8251A, 8257, Interfacing Centronics Printer, Keyboard and Displays, 8051 family 8-bit microcontrollers, Architecture, Simple programming, Applications.
1. Microprocessors and Interfacing, DOUGLAS V.HALL ,TMH, 2000.
2. 8051 Micro controller and Embedded systems, MAZIDI, Pearson Education, 2002.
* * * *
Course No. EC 354 COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE & ORGANISATION Credits: 3
Computer interconnection structure, Computer memory systems, Modes of I/O data Transfer, I/O channels and Processors, Operating Systems Overview, Scheduling and memory management, Computer arithmetic, Instruction Sets – Machine instruction characteristics, Control Unit Operation, Parallel organisation – Multiprocessing, Vector Computation, Fault tolerant Systems.
1. Computer Organization and Architecture – Principles of structure and function, W.STALLINGS, II Ed,
Maxwell Macmillan Int. Edition, 2003
2.Computer Architecture and Organization, J.HAYES, McGraw Hill Int. Edition.,2001.
* * * *
Course No. EC 355 DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING Credits: 3
DFT algorithms, Computation of DFT, Design of FIR filters and IIR filters, Bilinear transformation, Matched z-transform, Digital filter structures, Quantization of filter coefficients, Decimation by a factor D, Interpolation by a factor I, Sampling rate conversion by a rational factor I/D, TMS 320X/ ADSP 21XX Architectures and Applications.
1. Digital Signal Processing – Principles, algorithms & Applications, J.G.PROAKIS & D.G.MANOLAKIS, PHI, 2000.
2. Digital Signal Processing- S.K. MITRA, TMH, 2003
3. DSP Processors and Architectures, VENKATA RAMANI, TMH, 2002
4. Handouts on DSP Processors.
* * * *
Course No. EC 320 MICROPROCESSORS & INTERFACING Credits 4
Course No. EC 322 COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS Credits 3
* * * *
Course No. EC 401 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTATION Credits: 3
Static and Dynamic Characteristics of instruments . Different Analyzers Analog and Digital Multimeters, Digital Frequency Meter. Impedance Measurement instruments l,Q meter, . Noise and Interference reduction techniques in Measurement Systems.;Study of Different Types of Oscilloscopes, Transducers, Introduction to Data Acquisition Systems, GPIB.
1. Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation, OLIVER AND CAGE, Mc Graw Hill.
2. Electronic Instrumentation & Measurement techniques – W.D.COOPER & FELBRICK, PHI, ( ch.2 & 7)
Course No. EC 402 RADIO AND T.V. ENGINEERING Credits: 3
Elements of a Communication Systems, Low Level and High Level AM, AM Detector, SSB Modulator, Synchronous Detector, FM Modulators, FET Phase Modulator, Foster-Seeley FM Discriminator, Ratio Detector, AM Transmitter, FM Transmitter, SSB Transmitter, TRF Radio Receiver, Superheterodyne Receiver, RF Section, Mixer, IF Section, Image Frequency, AGC, SSB Transceiver, Special Features in Communication Receiver. Television Broadcasting, TV Channels, TV Scanning, Indian TV Standards, composite video Signal, H and V Scanning, Synchronization, Blanking Signal, video Signal Frequencies, TV Cameras, RGB Video Signals, Color Matrix, I and Q Signals, Chrominance Modulation, Color Sub-Carrier Frequency, VSB Transmission, FM Sound Signal, Tricolor Picture Tubes, Y Matrix, Functional Blocks of TV Receiver, Video Detector and Amplifier, Sound IF section, Synch Separator, Chroma Section
1. Communication Electronics: Principles and Applications – LOUIS E FRENZIL, 3/e, MGH., 2001.
2. Electronic Communication Systems, GEORGE KENNEDY &BERNARD DAVIS, TMH, 4/e, 2000.
3. Basic Televison and Video Systems, BERNARD GROB, 6/e., MGH, Singapore, 2000.
4. Electronic Communication Modulation & Transmission, R.J. SCHOENBECK, 2/e, PHI, 1999.
5. Modern Television Practice, Principles, Technology and Servicing, R.R. GULATI, 2/e., New Age Intl., 2002.
Course No. EC 403 VLSI DESIGN Credits: 3
Review of micro electronics and introduction to MOS technology, Introduction to IC technology, MOS technology and VLSI, basic MOS transistor, fabrication of NMOS, CMOS and BiCMOS transistors, thermal aspects of processing and production of E-beam marks MOS AND BICMOS CIRCUIT DESIGN PROCESSORS:
Basic Circuit Concepts: Sealing Of Mos Circuits: Subsystem Design And Layout: Basic Cmos Analog Ic Building Blocks: System Design And Design Methods: Cmos Testing.
1. Douglas A.Pucknell and Kamran Eshraghian, “Basic VLSI Design”, IIIrd Ed., Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. (Cha
2. Neil H.E.Weste and Kamran Eshraghian,“Principles of CMOS VLSI Design”, IInd Ed., Addison Wesley publishing company
Course No. EC 404 MICROWAVE ENGINEERING Credits: 3
Klystron amplifier, reflex Klystron oscillator. Travelling Wave tube amplifier, backward wave oscillator, cavity magnetron and crossed field amplifier, study Of Different Microwave Tubes, Microwave Solid State Devices, Microwave Components, Microwave Circuits, Microwave Measurements, Scattering matrix and its properties, Scattering matrix of transmission lines, three port and four port microwave junctions
1. Microwave devices and circuits, 3 rd Edn , S.Y.LIAO, Prentice Hall of India 1991
2. Microwaves Systems , 2nd Edn, K.C.GUPTA, Wiley Eastern Ltd., 1979
3. Microwave technology, DENNIS RODDY, PH , 1986
Course No. EC 405 COMPUTER NETWORKS Credits: 3
Data Communication, Networks, Protocols and Standards, Topology, Categories of Networks, OSI & TCP/IP Protocol suites, Detailed study of Physical layer, Data Link Layer, LANS AND MANS, NETWORK LAYER, TRANSPORT LAYER, APPLICATION LAYER:
1. Data Communications and Networking, BEHROUZ A. FOROUZAN, 3/E, TMH, New Delhi, 2003
2. Computer Networks, ANDREW S. TANENBAUM, 4rd Ed., Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2000
3. Computer Networks and Internet, DOUGLAS E COMER, Pearson Education, Asia, 2000
4. Data and Computer Communications,6/e, W STALINGS, Pearson, 2002
Course No. EC 411 IMAGE PROCESSING Credits: 3
Digital Image Representation, Fundamental Steps in Image Processing, Elements of Digital Image Processing Systems, Simple
image model, Neighborhood of Pixels, Pixel Connectivity, Labeling of Connected Components, Distance Measures, Arithmetic
and Logic Operations, Image Transformations, Stereo Imaging, image enhancement, Point processing, Intensity Transforms, Histogram Processing, Smoothing and Sharpening Filters, Enhancement in the Frequency Domain, Homomorphic filtering, Pseudo-Coloring, Image Compression Model, Error free Compression, Lossy Predictive Coding, Transform Coding, Detection of Discontinuities, Lines and Edges, Edge Linking, Boundary Detection, Thresholding, Region Growing , Region Splitting, Chain Codes,
Polygonal Approximations, Signatures, Skeleton, Boundary Descriptors, Shape Numbers, Fourier descriptors, Moments, Topological Descriptors, Image Analysis, Pattern and Pattern Classes, Minimum Distance Classifier, Baye’s Classifier, Neural Network Training, Structural methods.
1. Digital Image Processing: RC GONZALEZ & RE WOODS, Pearson Education, 2000.
2. Digital Image Processing and Analysis: B. CHANDA, D. DUTTA MAJUMDER, PHI, 2000.
3. Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing: A.K. JAIN, PHI, New Delhi, 2001.
4. Image Processing, analysis, and machine vision, M SONKA, V HLAVAC, and R BOYLE, Thomson ITP, 1999
Course No. EC 412 SATELLITE COMMUNICATIONS Credits: 3
Overview of satellite System Engineering, Orbital Mechanics, satellite orbit, Lo0k Angles,: Subsatellite point, Azimith and Elevation, orbital perturbation, satellite eclipse, sun transit outage, satellite subsystems, AOCS, TT&C, Power System, Antennas, System noise temperature and G/T ratio, Design of down link, Up link design, satellite modulation, and multiplexing, FM with multiplexed telephone signals, Analog FM SCPC, TDM, multiple access, FDM/FM/FDMA, TDMA-Bits, Symbols, and channels, Frame structure, synchronization, CDMA- Spread spectrum transmission and reception, forward error correction – Convolution codes, Implementation of error detection on satellite links.
1. Satellite Communication – PRATT & CW BOSTIAN, J.Wiley & Sons, NY, 1986.
2. Satellite Communication – M RICHHARIA, BS publishers, 2003
3. Satellite Communication – WL PRITCHARD, Pearson, 2003
Course No. EC 413 MEDICAL INSTRUMENTATION Credits: 3
Basics of medical instrumentation,biomedical transducers, biomedical signal measuremet basics, therapeutic and prosthetic devices, cardiovascular measurements:,eeg & emg, medical imaging systems noninvasive instrumentation: Elements of Intensive care monitoring heart-rate monitors; Arrhythmia monitors, EEG & EMG, Bioelectric Potentials from Brain, Clinical EEG, Electromyography, Radiography, MRI, Computed Tomography, Ultrasonography, Temperature Measurements, Ultrosonic Measurements and applications, Introduction to Biotelemetry, Physiological parameters, Biotelemetry System Components, Implantable units and Applications of Telemetry in Patient Care.Books:
1. Principles of Biomedical Instrumentation, L.A.GEDDES AND WILEY, L.E.Baker (2nd Ed.)
2. Biomedical Instrumentation and Measurements, L.CROMWELL, Prentice Hall.