NIT Agartala Applied Thermodynamics-I Syllabus
ME-301 APPLIED THERMODYNAMICS-I (3-1-0) 4
1. Definition: Thermodynamic system, control volume, Thermodynamic properties, processes,
cycles, homogenous and heterogeneous system, thermodynamic equilibrium, quasi-static process.
Work Transfer, pdv work, Indicator diagram, free expansion, path function.
2. First Law Of Thermodynamics: Quantity of energy and its measurement. First Law Energy
equation for closed and open loop system under SSSF and USUF condition ; Application of First
Law Energy equation to thermodynamic system components such as boiler, turbine, compressor,
nozzle, expander, pump, condenser; First Law efficiency; First Law analysis of combustion
3. Second Law Of Thermodynamics :Quality of energy and its measurements; Reversible and
irreversible processes; Entropy and its significance; Principle of increase of entropy of the
universe; Carnot cycle; Clausius inequality; Application of second law to various thermodynamic
4. Combination of First and Second Law :First and second law combined, reversible adiabatic
work in a steady flow system, unsteady flow, control system analysis, control volume analysis,
Entropy and disorder, Availability and irreversibility; Second Law analysis of combustion process
5. Properties of pure substances : Pure substances, p –v; p – t; t – s and h – s diagrams; Steam
tables; charts of thermodynamic properties, dryness fraction of liquid vapour mixtures. Reactive
mixtures and combustion.
6. Introduction of I.C.Engine: Introduction, classification of I.C.Engine, Engine component, The
four stroke cycle, Valve timing, Valve and valve mechanism, Spark ignition four stroke cycle,
carburetor, air-fuel mixture, compression ignition four stroke engine, diesel four stroke engine, fuel
pump & injector, injection nozzle, comparison of four stroke and two stroke engine.
1. Nag, P.K., Engineering Thermodynamics, 3rd ed., Tata McGraw-Hill, 2005
2. Cengal, Y.A and Boles, M.A, Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach, 5th ed., McGraw
3. Rajput, R.K.,Thermal Engineering
4. Ballaney, P.L.,Thermal Engineering, Khanna Publishers.