NIT Agartala Strength of Materials Syllabus
ME-302 STRENGTH OF MATERIALS (3-1-0) 4
1. Simple stresses and strains: Stress, strain, types of stresses, elastic limit, Hook’s
law, Analysis of bars of varying sections, law of superposition, composite bar,
thermal stress,thermal stresses in composite bars, elongation of bar due to it’s own
weight, stress-strain diagram.
2. Elastic constants: Introduction , longitudinal & lateral strain, Poisson’s ratio,
volumetric strain for rectangular bar, Bulk Modulus , Principle of complementary
shear stress, Relation between various elastic constants .
3. Principle stresses and strain : Introduction, Principle planes and principle
stresses, methods for determining stresses on oblique section, Analytical method,
Graphical method, Mohr’s circle, use of Mohr’s circle to find Principle stresses.
4. Strain Energy and Impact Loading: Introduction, Resilience, proof resilience,
Modulus of Resilience, expression for strain energy stored in a body for different
loading conditions and shear stress.
5. Shear force and Bending moment: Introduction, different types of beams and
loads, S.F & BM diagram for a cantilever, Uniformly distributed load, Simply
supported beam for various types of loading, relation between load, shear force
and Bending moment diagram.
6. Torsion of shafts: Introduction , Basic assumptions, Derivation of shear stress
produced in a circular shaft subjected to torsion, Max. torque transmitted by a
circular and hollow circular shaft. Polar modulus , strength of a shaft and
tensional rigidity, composite shafts, combined bending and torsion. Strength of a
shaft of varying cross section.
7. Thin and Thick cylinder: Introduction ,Thin cylindrical vessel subjected to
internal pressure, expression for circumferential and longitudinal stress in thin
cylinder , stresses in thick cylindrical shells, stresses in compound thick cylinder.
1. Ramamurtham, S., “Strength of Materials”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 1974.
2. Khurmi, R.S., “Strength of Materials”, Khanna Publishers.
3. Beer, Johnston., “Mechanics of Materials”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publications