NIT Agartala Syllabus for Machine Design-I
NIT Agartala Machine Design-I Syllabus
ME-502 MACHINE DESIGN I (3-1-0)4
1. Fundamentals of Machine Design – Design philosophy, Various considerations in machine design. Design Procedure, Common engineering materials, I.S.I. specification on steels.
2. Stresses in machine elements: Types of Simple stresses , Stress strain relationship, Factor of safety.
3. Design for Strength : Design for static loading, Theories of failures, Stress Concentration Factors, Design for variable loading,
4. Fasteners : Types of fasteners, Design of Cotter and knuckle joint, Design of Key, Coupling : Types, use, Design procedure, working principle of rigid and flexible rubber-bushed couplings.
5. Design of Permanent Joints: Rivets, Types and use of rivet joint , Types and efficiency, design procedure, Welded joint. Bolted Joint.
6. Power Screws: Power Screw, drives and their efficiency, Design of power screws
7. Design of Shaft :shaft and its design based on strength, Design of shaft for variable load and based on, Combined bending and Twisting moment.
8. Springs: Introduction to Design of Helical Springs Design of Helical Springs for Variable Load Design of Leaf Springs
1. Shigley, J.E., Mechanical Engineering Design, 5th ed., McGraw-Hill, 1989.
2. Bhandari, V.B., “Design of Machine element” Tata McGraw-Hill
3. Bhandari, V.B., “Introduction to Machine Design” Tata McGraw-Hill
4. Khurmi, R.S., Gupta, J.K., “ A Text book of Machine Design” S. Chand Publication.