NIT Agartala I.C. Engine Syllabus
ME-504 I.C ENGINE (3-1-0) 4
1. Basic types of engines, air standard cycle, fuel air cycles, actual cycles, losses in actual engine operation, mep, thermal efficiency. Desirable characteristics of fuels for I.C. engines. Octane number, cetane number, performance numbers. Properties of air-petrol mixtures.
2. Elementary carburetor, complete carburetor, petrol injection.
3. Diesel injection system, fuel pump, fuel injectors and nozzles.
4. Battery ignition system, Magneto injection system, Electronic ignition system using contract breaker, ignition system and spark advance.
1. Theories of combustion in S.I and C.I. engine, methods of reduction of detonation and knock.
2. Combustion chamber types in S.I. and C.I. engine, Supercharging, Scavenging of I.C. engines, two stroke S.I and C.I. engines.
3. Lubrication of I.C. engines, properties of lubricating oils, lubricating systems, cooling of I.C engines, air and water cooling systems.
4. Fundamentals of free piston and rotary engines, performance and testing of I.C. engines, Pollutant emission- formation and control.
1. Ganesan, V., “Internal Combustion Engines”, 2nd ed., Tata McGraw-Hill, 2003.
2. Sharma, Mathur,. “Internal Combustion Engines”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
3. Crouse, Anglin., “Automotive Mechanics” Tata McGraw-Hill
4. Kirpal Singh, Automotive Engineering, Vol. I & II, Standards Publishers, New Delhi, 2002.