NIT Agartala Syllabus for Fluid Mechanics-I
NIT Agartala Fluid Mechanics-I Syllabus
ME- 303 FLUID MECHANICS-I (3-1-0) 4
1. Properties of fluid: Mass and weight density, specific gravity, specific volume, viscosity and
Newton’s law of viscosity, Compressibility, Types of fluid, surface tension and capillarity.
2. Pressure and its measurement: Fluid pressure at a point and Pascal’s law, absolute, gauge and
vacuum pressures, pressure variation in a fluid at rest, pressure measurement-Manometers and
3. Hydrostatics: Total pressure and centre of pressure for horizontal, vertical , inclined plane
surfaces and curved surfaces submerged in liquid. Total pressure and center of pressure on lock
4. Buoyancy and flotation: Buoyancy, center of buoyancy , metacentre and metacentric height and
equilibrium of floating bodies, period of oscillation .Kinematics of flow: Types of fluid flow,
continuity equation in three dimensions, velocity potential function and stream function, forced
and free vortex flow.
5. Dynamics of flow: Euler’s equation and Bernoulli’s equation ,application of Bernoulli’s
equation-venturimeter, orifice-meter, and pitot tube.
6. Orifice and Notches: Flow through orifices, hydraulic coefficients, time of emptying
hemispherical and horizontal cylindrical tank through an orifice at it’s bottom. Discharge over
rectangular, triangular and trapezoidal notches, velocity of approach.
7. Laminar flow : Flow of viscous fluid through circular pipe-velocity distribution and average
velocity, Hagen Poiseiulle formula, Kinetic energy correction and Momentum Correction factors ,
Navier-Stokes equation of motion.
8. Turbulent Flow: Reynold’s experiment, Loss of head due to friction in pipes, Reynold’s
expression and Prandtl mixing length theory for turbulent shear stress.
1. Bansal, S.K., “Fluid Mechanics & Hydraulic Machines” Laxmi Publications.
2. Cengel, Y.A., “Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals & Applications (SI Units)” Tata McGraw-
3. Jain, A.K., “Fluid Mechanics” Khanna Publishers.
4. Rajput, R.K., “Fluid mechanics & Hydraulic machines 2/E ” S. Chand Publications