Mumbai University Question Papers
IV Sem CSE – Examination June 2007
Database Management System
N.S.: (1) Question NO.1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining six questions.
(3) Make suitable assumptions if needed.
1. (a) Explain the structure of DBMS.
(b) Explain the insertion of entry in a B+ tree.
(c) Explain validation based protocol.
2. (a), Explain following relational algebraic operations with example.
(ii) Generalized Projection’
(v) Outer Join’
(b) What is view? Howit is defined and stored? What are benefits and limitationof view?
3. (a) What is recoverable schedule? Whyrecoverabilityof schedule is desirable? Are there ‘any circumstances under which it would be desirable to allow non-recoverable schedule? Explain.
(b) What is deadlock? Discuss various strategies for deadlock prevention and deadlock recovery.
4. (a) Explain-time stamp ordering protocol and Thomas write rule.
(b) Draw a ER diagram for banking enterprise (state assumptions clearly). Convert ER diagram in to tables.
5. (a) When is it preferable to .use dense index rather than sparce index? Explain your answer. Also explain hash indices.
(b) Explain variqus extended features of ER diagram such as aggregation, specialization S and generalization with suitable example.
6. (a) Compare shadow page recovery scheme with log based recovery scheme.
(b) What is transaction? Explain its properties.
7. (a) What is normalization? Explain 1NF, 2NF, 3NF and BCNF with suitable example;
(b) Write short note on (any two) ;-
(i) Assertion –
(ii) Integrity Constraints
(iii) Security Mechanism.