Mumbai University Previous year question papers
V Sem IT Examination June 2009
Operating System for Computational Devices
N.B.: (1) Question No.1 is compulsory. ‘
(2) Attempt any four questions out of remaining six questions. –
(3) Assume suitable data where necessary.
1. (a) What conditions enforce to design multipass assembler? What are the advantages and disadvantages of single pass assembler?
(b) Explain the working of a two pass assembler with neat flowcharts and Description of various databases used.
2. (a) Explain the diff~rent disk space allocation methods with their merits and demerits. 10
(b) What are the error recovery techniques used by the compiler? 10
3. (a) Explain the file organization and the access methods.
(b) “ExplainBanker’s algorithms for deadlock avoidance.
4. (a) What is parsing? Differenti~te top-down parsing vs bottom-up parsing methods. 10
(b) What is a S~heduler? Describe Short term, mid term and long term scheduling when the schedulers are involved with neat diagrams.
5. (a) Explain the code optimisation ph::tseof a cotppiler.
(b)’ Explain the design of direct linking loader.
6. (a) What is the need of linkage-editor in system programming? Explain its working.in brief.
(b) What are the four conditions that create deadlock? Explain Deadlock prevention and deadlock avoidance.
7. Write short notes on (any four) :-
(a) System calls and Driver.
(b) Interproeess Communication.
(c) Database for 2-pass Macro .
(d) Ambigous grammer.
(e) Virtual Memory.
(f) Debug Monitor.