Mumbai University Previous year question papers
V Sem IT Examination Dec 2009
Operating System for Computational Devices
N.~ (1) QuestionNo.1 is compulsory.
(2) Out of remaining questions, attempt any four questions.
(3) Assume suitable data wherever required but justify the same.
(4) All questions carry equal marks.
(5) Answer to each new question to be started on a fresh page.
(6) Figure to the right in brackets indicate full marks.
1.(a)Drawthe architectureofRTOS and explainthe function of each block the Same. (10)
(b) What are the various system calls for Process Management? Explain each one with their syntax. (10)
2. (a) Whatis process and threads?Howand where we can use them? (10)
(b) Explainvarious page replacementpolicies. Implement LRU, OPT, FIFO for the page framesequence0, 1,2, 1,4,2, 3, 7, 2, 1, 3, wherepage frame size is 3. Also calculate the hit ratio. (10)
3. (a) What is DMA? What are the different ways in which DMA is performed? Explain each one of them briefly. (10)
(b) What are the various file structures? Explain each one in detail.
4.(a) Explain the Shortest Seek first disk scheduling algorithm with an example. What are the drawbacks of this algorithm? What are the techniques used to alleviate these drawbacks. (10)
(b) What is the virtual memory? Explain with neat diagram the translation of virtual address into physical addres s in a segmentation/paging system. (10)
5. (a) What are the four conditjons that create deadlock? Explain deadlock prevention and avoidance techniques. (10)
(b) Why there is need for communication between two processes? Explain various modes of communication. (10)
6. (a) What is buffering? Why there is a need of Buffering while performing I/O? Explain Double Buffering with an example. (10)
(b) Explain how file-systems store files in a linked-list fashion. What are the limitations and advantages of this approach? (05)
(c) Explain the shared OS configuration for multiprocessor systems. Give an example of a real-world kernel which uses this configuration. (05)
7. Write Short note on (any four).
(a) Applications ofRTOS
(b) Comparison of any two RTOS
(c) Monolithic Vs Micro Kernels.
(d) System Calls for Directory Handling
(e) Resource Graph Models
(f) lnode or FAT Struct