Mumbai University Previous year question papers
III Sem IT Examination June 2009
GUI & Database Management
(1) Question NO.1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four out of remaining six questions.
(3) Make suitable assumptions if required.
1. (a) Explain time-stamp ordening protocol and Thoma’s Write Rule.
(b) Give use of msybox, inpute box. Explain with example.
(c) State and explain use of OLE.
(d) Design any application to make use of following controls:
2. (a) Draw an E-R diagram for the university database with following entities
Courses including number title, syllabus and credits and prerE3quisites
instructor timing, classroom alloted.
Student including id, name and program
Instructors including number, name department and title
Enrolment of student in courses and grade awarded to student must be appropriately modeled.
(b) Explain following terms :-
graph based protocols.
3. (a) Explain log-based and checkpoint based recovery mechanism in DBMS. 10
(b) ExplainMurphie’slawof GUIin detailwiththe helpofan exampleandstatefeat~resof GUI 10
4. (a) Write a code to create color selection menu by using Menu Editor. Your ~ode should apply the selected color for the background.
(b) What is SQL ? Explain the following structures of SQL queries with appropriate 12
(i) Select clause
(ii) Where clause
(iii) From clause
(iv) Agregate function
(v) With clause
5. (a) Explain following relational algebra operators with example-
(i) Rename (iv) Cartesian product
(ii) Set-difference (v) Assignment
(iii) Outer joint
(b) What are the standard used for GUI.
(c) Write short note on icon and graphics.
6. (a) Explain conflict serializability and view sendlizability in detail.
(b) Explain database architecture in detail with the help of a diagram. –
7. (a) What is transaction? Discuss transaction diagram and its properties.
(b) Explain ACID properties and usefulness of each property.