Mumbai University Previous year question papers
III Sem IT Examination Dec 2009
GUI & Database Management
1) Question number 1 is compulsory
2) Solveany 4 questions from question number 2 to 7.
3) Assume appropriate data where necessary.
4) Allquestions carry equal marks.
Ql) a) ExplainDatabase architecture in detail. 12
b) ExplainMurphy’s low of GUIDesign and standard of GUI. 08
Q2) a) Consider the following database, give an expression in SQL, 12
Employee (employee-name, street, city ,date of join)
Works (employee-name, company-name, salary)
Company (company-name, city)
Manages (employee-name, manager-name),
1] Find all employees in database who live in the same cities and on the same Street as do their manager.
2) Find all employees who earn more than average sala’ryof all employee of their company
3] Give all employee of XYZ a 10% rise.
4] Find all employees who join in the month of March
5] Delete the Smith belonging to XYZCompany.
b) Explainfollowing relational algebra operator in detail,
i) select, ii)project, iii)Cartesian product, iv)rename
Explaintime stamp ordering protocol and Thomas write rule in detail.
b) Explainshadow page recovery mechanism in DBMS.
Q4) a) what is dead Lock?Howit is detected? Discuses different types of deadlock avoidance scheme.
b) Draw the ERdiagram for the university database, and convert it into relational database. 10
5.(a) Answer the following,
give use of msgbox ,input boxwith example
State and explain use of OLE
Significance of option Explicit
Differencebetween ListBox and Combo box
Use of MDIform
‘b) Explain ACID Properties of transaction and state diagram.
Q6) a) what is DBA?Explain it’s function in detaiL
b) Define serializability? Explain conflict and view serializability
Q7) Write notes on any four,
1) Validation based protocol
2) Checkpoint recovery mechanism
3) Weak entity set and strong entity set
5) Total participation, partial participation, unique key, primary key, arid partial key.