Mumbai University Previous year question papers
I Year Examination June 2009
N.B. : (1) Question No.1 is compulsory.
(2) Answer any four from remaining six questions.
(3) Figures to the right indicate full marks.
(4) All questions carry equal marks.
1. Attempt any five from the following :-
(a) DefineH.C.V. andL.C.V.
(b) Give the composition, properties and uses of Gun metal.
(c) Namethe constituents of paints.
(d) Explain why zinc coating gives a better protection for iron than tin.
(f) Whatarethe applicationsof powdermetallurgy?
(g) What are the functions of matrix phase in a composite material?
2. (a) Define cracking of petroleum. Explain fixed bed catalytic crackingwith a neat diagram.
(b) List the 12principles of Green chemistry.
(c) What are metal ceramic powders? Give the methods of ceramic powder formation.
3. (a) Write notes on any two :-
(i) Green fuels.
(ii) Metal cladding.
(iii) Activation energy.
(b) The compostionof a gaswas foundto be H2= 10%”CH4= 16%,C2H6= 20%,N2= 6%, CO = 22%, CO2= 18%, °2 = rest. Calculate the volume of air required for complete combustionof 1m3of this gas.
(c) Give the various methods of Compacting. Explain cold powder extrusion methQ,d.
4. (a) Describe the adsorption and catalytic properties of zeolites.
(b) How the following factors affect the rate of corrosion:
(i) Position of metal in galvanic series.
(ii) Temperature ofthe medium.
(iii) Passivity of the metal.
(c) Calcualte %ofAtom Economy for the production of maleic anhydride.
5. (a) Explain the production of ethanol from molasses.
(b) What current strength in amperes will be required to liberate 20 g of iodine from potassium iodide solution in one hour: .(electrochemical equivalent of iodine = 0.00131 g)
(c) Define a catalyst. What are the characteristics of a catalyst?
6. (a) 3 g of coal was heated in Kjeldahl’s flask andNH3gas evolved was absorbed in 40 ml of 0’5 N H2SO4′ After absorption, the excess acid required 18.5 ml of 0,5 N kOH for exact neutralisation. 2.3 g of coal sample in quantitative anlysis gave O’35 g BaSO 4’Calculate the %ofN and S in the sample.
(b) Write a note on structural composites.
(c) What is the principle of cathodic protection method? Explain sacrificial anode cathodic protection.
7. (a) State Faraday’s laws’of electrolysis.
(b) What is knocking? Explain the role of antiknocking agents.
(c) With the help of Synthesis of adipic acid, explain the basic ideas in the field of green chemistry reserach.