Mumbai University Previous year question papers Applied Chemistry-I Dec 2012
Mumbai University Previous year question papers
I Year Examination Dec 2012
N.D.: (I) Question No.1 is compulsory.
(2) Answer any three questions from the remaining five questions.
(3) Figures to the right indicate marks.
(4) All the questions carry equal marks.
(Atomic weight: Ca = 40, H = 1, C
= 12, 0= 16, Mg = 24, Na’= 23,
CI = 35·5, S
= 32, Si = 28 and Al = 27)
1. Attempt any.five fro~ the following :-
(b) Write synthes!s, properties and applications of Kevlar.
(c) Defme and write significance ~f Viscocity and Viscocit)r Index.
(d) State the limi~tions of phase rule.
(e) What is nailomaterial ? Give two properties of nanomaterials which make them different and superior to conventional materials.
(f)Write synthesis, properties and applications of Buna S.
(g) Ca~culate temporary, permanent and total hardness of water sample containing
Mg.(HC03)2 = 7,3 ppm, Ca (HC03)2 =.16,2 ppm.
Mg Cl 2 =9·5 ppm Ca S04 = 13·6 ppm.·
2. (a) Calculate amount of lime (90%) pure and soda (98% pure) for the treatment of 6
Imillion litres of water containing Ca (HC03)2 = 8·1 ppm, CaCI2 = 33·3 ppm, HC03-= 91·5 ppm, MgCl2 = 38 ppm, Mg (HC03)2 = 14·6 ppm. The coagulant AI 2(S04)3 was added at the rate of 17,1 ppm .
.(b) Define phase rule and explain terms like phase, component and degree of freedom by givfug appropriate examples.
·(c) Explain manufacturing proce~s for the portland cement.
3. (a) What IS lubrication? Explain fluid film lubrication with the help of diagram. 6
(b) Write synthesis, properties and applications of silicon rubber. 5
(c) Draw neat labelled phase diagram for water system.
4. (a) What is fabrication technology? Mention various moulding techniques and explain injection moulding with the help of diagram.
(b) Discuss zeolite process with the help of diagram, chemical reactions and advantages. 5
(c) Find acid value of vegetable oil whose 5 ml requires 2 ml of N/lOO KOH during lubrication (Density of oil is 0·92 gjm!).