Mumbai University Previous year question papers
V Sem CSE Examination Dec 2012
Advanced Database Management Systems
N.B.: (1) Question No.1 is compulsory.
(2) Attempt any four questions out of the remaining six questions.
1. Consider a university database that keeps track of st:.Jdent and their majors, transcripts and registration and the university courses. Several sections of each course are offered and each section is related to the instructor who is teaching. It also keeps track of the sponsored research project of faculty and graduate students of the academic departments of tho particular college. The database also keeps track of research grants and contracts awarded to the university. A grant is related to one principle investigator and to all researchers it supports.
(a) Draw an extended ER diagram for the above system. 7
(b) Show mapping of EER diagram into relational schema. 7
(c) Take two typical queries and write them in SQL. 6
2. (a) Explain different architecture for parallel database. 10
(b) Explain different joins such as EQUIJOIN, NATURAL JOIN, LEFT AND RIGHT OUTER JOIN with suitable example.
3. (a) Explain query processing in distributed database. 10
(b) Explain with example nested relation in ORDBMS. 10
4. (a) Explain heuristic query optimization with given example :- 10
from Employee e, Works-on w, Project p
=‘Database’ And p. pnumber = w.pno And e.essn= w.ssn And e.bdate > ‘1977-12-31’
(b) In SQL 3 how type inheritance and table inheritance is implemented? ~xplain with suitable example.
5. (a) What is Data transparency? Explain the type of transparencies distributed data- base should achieve.
(b) What is well formed and valid XML document? With example explain what is XML Schema file.
6. (a) Explain Nested-loop join and Block Nested-loop join algorithm.
(b) Explain database design and implementation process.
7. Write short notes on (any four) ;-
(a) Replication in distributed DBMs
(b) Aggregate functions in SQL
(c) XML Schema elements
(d) EXIST and NOT EXIST clause in SQL
(e) Query processing in typical DBMs system