MNIT Jaipur Syllabus Information Technology Semantic Web
Basics of knowledge representation and informal introduction to OWL Description logics and classiers –
the ALC family and its extensions. Expressiveness versus tractability; highly expressive description
logics; implemented description logic systems; description logics and the “Semantic Web”. Practical
issues in ontologies: Basic principles, normalisation and the “Ontoclean” methodology, upper ontologies,
Common problems in ontology development: parts and wholes, time, space, fundamental limitations.
1. The Description Logic Handbook, Baader et al, CUP, 2003.
2. Ian Pratt. Artificial Intelligence. Macmillan, 1994.
3. John Sowa. Principles of Semantic Networks: Explorations in the representation of knowledge.
Morgan Kaufmann, 1991.
4. Russell and Norvig. Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach. Prentice Hall, 1995.
5. Han Reichgelt. Knowledge Representation: An AI Perspective. Ablex Publishing, 1991.