MNIT Jaipur Syllabus computer science Speech Recognition
Overview of Speech Recognition; What is Speech; Why is it important; Applications and issues. Speech
Production; Mechanism of speech production; Categories of sounds; Sound units in indian languages.
Nature of Speech Signal; Source-system characteristics; Segmental and suprasegmental features;
Temporal and spectral parameters for sound units in indian languages. Basics of Digital Signal
Processing; Signals and systems; Discrete fourier transform; Digital filtering; Stochastic processes.
Speech Signal Processing Methods: Short-time spectrum analysis; Spectrograms; Linear prediction
analysis; Cepstrum analysis. Speech Recognition; Isolated word recognition; Connected word
recognition Continuous Speech Recognition; Speech recognition problem; Hidden markov models.
Other Applications: Word spotting; Speaker recognition; Speech enhancement; Speech synthesis;
Practical issues in speech Recognition.
1. Spoken Language Processing: A Guide to Theory, Algorithm and System Development by
Xuedong Huang, Alex Acero, Hsiao-Wuen Hon, Raj Reddy Prentice Hall PTR; ISBN:
2. Speech Communications : Human & Machine by Douglas O’Shaughnessy, IEEE Press,
Hardcover 2nd edition, 1999; ISBN: 0780334493.
3. Digital Processing of Speech Signals, Rabiner and Schafer, Prentice Hall, 1978.
4. Fundamentals of Speech Recognition, Rabiner and Juang, Prentice Hall, 1994.
5. Speech and Audio Signal Processing : Processing and Perception of Speech and Music by
Nelson Morgan and Ben Gold, July 1999, John Wiley & Sons, ISBN: 0471351547
6. Discrete-Time Speech Signal Processing: Principles and Practice by Thomas F. Quatieri
Publisher: Prentice Hall; ISBN: 013242942X; 1st edition (October 29, 2001)
7. Speech Processing and Synthesis Toolboxes by Donald G. Childers, John Wiley & Sons,
September 1999; ISBN: 0471349593 CP-475 Mobile Computing (3-0-2) 4
Introduction to mobile computing: principles, classification & overview of devices, operating systems.
Wireless transmission: brief overview, multipath propagation, hidden & exposed terminals. Medium
access control & protocols: SDMA, FDMA, TDMA, DAMA, FAMA, PRMA, Reservation TDMA,
polling, CSMA/CA, CDMA etc.
Wireless LAN: infrastructure & ad-hoc networks, IEEE 802.11, HIPERLAN.
Mobile network layer: mobile IP, DHCP, infrastructure & Ad-hoc
routing. Mobile transport layer: indirect TCP, snooping TCP, mobile TCP etc. mobile support, WWW &
1. Principles of mobile computing Hansmann & Merk., Springer
2. Mobile communications Jochen Schiller , Pearson
3. 802.11 wireless networks Matthew S.Gast, O’REILLY.
4. Wireless LANs: Davis & McGuffin, McGraw Hill
5. Mobile Communications Handbook by Jerry D. Gybson
6. Mobile Communications Handbook by Raymond Steel