JNTU,B.Tech,I- Semester, BIO CHEMISTRY, November 2008
1. In what forms carbohydrates are stored in plants and animals. Give the structural
Formulae for the constituents concerned. Write short note on it.
2. How the glucose level of blood is maintained in animals? Discuss the role of Hormones in sugar regulation in the animal body.
3. Differentiate between aerobic and anaerobic hydrogen transfer compare the energy yield of the two processes.
4. Summarize the proper balance between the activities of the autotrophs and heterotrophs in our biosphere.
5. (a) How microorganisms use ATP and a powerful reductant to convert molecular
nitrogen into ammonia?
(b) How is ammonia assimilated into amino acids?
6. (a) Define the term lipid. How are they extracted form a natural source? What
are their general characteristic features?
(b) What are storage lipids? What is their composition? Sketch their physiological
7. List out some of the products obtained from microbial fermentations. What is the
importance of industrial fermentations over the chemical synthesis that are carried
out in laboratories?
8. What is non-cyclic photophosphorylation? When this event takes place. Illustrate
the electron flow with the help of a flow-sheet diagram