JNTU Syllabus for Engineering Physics
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY HYDERABAD
I Year B.Tech. L T/P/D C
2 1/-/- 4
1. Bonding in Solids: Ionic Bond, Covalent Bond, Metallic Bond, Hydrogen Bond, Vander-Waal’s Bond,
Calculation of Cohesive Energy.
2. Crystallography and Crystal Structures: Space Lattice, Unit Cell, Lattice Parameters, Crystal Systems,
Bravais Lattices, Miller Indices, Crystal Planes and Directions, Inter Planar Spacing of Orthogonal Crystal
Systems, Atomic Radius, Co-ordination Number and Packing Factor of SC, BCC, FCC, Diamond and hcp
Structures, Structures of NaCl, ZnS, CsCl.
3. X-ray Diffraction: Basic Principles, Bragg’s Law, Laue Method, Powder Method, Applications of X- ray
4. Defects in Crystals: Point Defects: Vacancies, Substitutional, Interstitial, Frenkel and Schottky Defects;
Qualitative treatment of line (Edge and Screw Dislocations) Defects, Burger’s Vector, Surface Defects and
5. Elements of Statistical Mechanics: Maxwell-Boltzman, Bose-Einstein and Fermi-Dirac Statistics
(Qualitative Treatment), Photon gas , Wein’s Law, Rayleigh-Jeans law,, Planck’s Law of Black Body
Radiation, Concept of Electron Gas, Fermi Energy, Density of States.
6. Principles of Quantum Mechanics: Waves and Particles, de Broglie Hypothesis , Matter Waves,
Davisson and Germer’s Experiment, G. P. Thomson Experiment, Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle,
Schrödinger’s Time Independent Wave Equation – Physical Significance of the Wave Function – Particle in
One Dimensional Potential Box.
7. Band Theory of Solids: Electron in a periodic Potential, Bloch Theorem, Kronig-Penny Model
(Qualitative Treatment), Origin of Energy Band Formation in Solids, Classification of Materials into
Conductors, Semi Conductors & Insulators, Concept of Effective Mass of an Electron and Hole.
8. Semiconductor Physics: Fermi Level in Intrinsic and Extrinsic Semiconductors, Intrinsic Semiconductors
and Carrier Concentration, Extrinsic Semiconductors and Carrier Concentration, Equation of Continuity,
Direct & Indirect Band Gap Semiconductors, Hall Effect.
9. Physics of Semiconductor Devices: Formation of PN Junction, Open Circuit PN Junction, Energy
Diagram of PN Diode, I-V Characteristics of PN Junction, PN Diode as a Rectifier (Forward and Reverse
Bias), Diode Equation, LED, LCD and Photo Diodes.
10. Dielectric Properties: Electric Dipole, Dipole Moment, Dielectric Constant, Polarizability, Electric
Susceptibility, Displacement Vector, Electronic, Ionic and Orientation Polarizations and Calculation of
Polarizabilities – Internal Fields in Solids, Clausius – Mossotti Equation, Piezo-electricity, Pyro-electricity and
11. Magnetic Properties: Permeability, Field Intensity, Magnetic Field Induction, Magnetization, Magnetic
Susceptibility, Origin of Magnetic Moment, Bohr Magneton, Classification of Dia, Para and Ferro Magnetic
Materials on the basis of Magnetic Moment, Domain Theory of Ferro Magnetism on the basis of Hysteresis
Curve, Soft and Hard Magnetic Materials, Properties of Anti-Ferro and Ferri Magnetic Materials, Ferrites and
their Applications, Concept of Perfect Diamagnetism, Meissner Effect, Magnetic Levitation, Applications of
12. Lasers: Characteristics of Lasers, Spontaneous and Stimulated Emission of Radiation, Meta-stable
State, Population Inversion, Lasing Action, Einstein’s Coefficients and Relation between them, Ruby Laser,
Helium-Neon Laser, Carbon Dioxide Laser, Semiconductor Diode Laser, Applications of Lasers.
13. Fiber Optics: Principle of Optical Fiber, Acceptance Angle and Acceptance Cone, Numerical Aperture,
Types of Optical Fibers and Refractive Index Profiles, Attenuation in Optical Fibers, Application of Optical
14. Acoustics of Buildings & Acoustic Quieting: Basic Requirement of Acoustically Good Hall,
Reverberation and Time of Reverberation, Sabine’s Formula for Reverberation Time(Qualitative Treatment),
Measurement of Absorption Coefficient of a Material, Factors Affecting The Architectural Acoustics and their
Remedies. Acoustic Quieting: Aspects of Acoustic Quieting, Methods of Quieting, Quieting for Specific
Observers, Mufflers, Sound-proofing.
15. Nanotechnology: Origin of Nanotechnology, Nano Scale, Surface to Volume Ratio, Quantum
Confinement, Bottom-up Fabrication: Sol-gel, Precipitation, Combustion Methods; Top-down Fabrication:
Chemical Vapour Deposition, Physical Vapour Deposition, Pulsed Laser Vapour Deposition Methods,
Characterization(XRD&TEM) and Applications.
1. Applied Physics – P.K.Palanisamy (SciTech Publications (India) Pvt. Ltd., Fifth Print 2008).
2. Applied Physics – S.O. Pillai & Sivakami (New Age International (P) Ltd., Second Edition 2008).
3. Applied Physics – T. Bhima Shankaram & G. Prasad (B.S. Publications, Third Edition 2008).
1. Solid State Physics – M. Armugam (Anuradha Publications).
2. Modern Physics – R. Murugeshan & K. Siva Prasath – S. Chand & Co. (for Statistical Mechanics).
3. A Text Book of Engg Physics – M. N. Avadhanulu & P. G. Khsirsagar– S. Chand & Co. (for
4. Modern Physics by K. Vijaya Kumar, S. Chandralingam: S. Chand & Co.Ltd
5. Nanotechnology – M.Ratner & D. Ratner (Pearson Ed.).
6. Introduction to Solid State Physics – C. Kittel (Wiley Eastern).
7. Solid State Physics – A.J. Dekker (Macmillan).
8. Applied Physics – Mani Naidu Pearson Education