JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, STEEL MAKING, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Compare and contrast ancient processes of steel making with modern processes with reference to process and equipment.
(b) Explain how the following factors affect the efficiency of steel making operation:
i. Energy consumption
ii. Cost of raw-materials used. [10+6]
(a) Molecular theory and
(b) Ionic theory of refininng of slags in steel making process. 
3. Discuss the construction and operatiional features for the following
(a) Twin hearth furnace
(b) Tilting open hearth furnace. [8+8]
4. What is L.D process? With the help of a neat sketch explain the steel making by L D process. What are the advantages and limitations of this process over other methods of steel making. 
5. (a) What are the types of electric heating ?
(b) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using electric energy as a source of heat ?
(c) Classify the Electric Arc Furnace processes. [4+6+6]
6. Describe the following with figures :
(a) Teeming Ladle
(b) Stopper assembly
(c) Ladle lining [6+6+4]
7. (a) What is secondary steel making ? Classify the various processes.
(b) What are the aims of secondary steel making ?
(c) Discuss stirring treatments in secondary steel making processes. [5+5+6]
8. (a) What is the principle of moving mould ? What are its modifications and its beneficial effect?
(b) What are the metallurgical aspects of continuous casting of steel ? [8+8]