JNTU Question Papers B-Tech
Process engineering principles
1. (a) Describe the membrane separation process.
(b) What are the various polymeric materials that can be used as membranes in the membrane separation process?
2. (a) A steel container has a volume of 200 m3. It is filled with nitrogen at 220C and atmospheric pressure. If the container valve is opened and the container heated to 2000C. Calculate the fraction of the nitrogen which leaves the container.
(b) Distinguish between density and specific gravity.
(c) i. Convert 1 poise to British Engineering units and SI units.
ii. Convert 1 kw to h.p.
iii. Convert 36 mg to grams.
3. State and prove Bernoulli’s theorem for incompressible fluid and indicate the corrections necessary for its applications.
4. Enumerate Newtons law of viscosity. Explain the importance of viscosity in fluid motion. What is the effect of temperature on viscosity of water and that of air?
5. (a) Briefly explain Reynold’s number and its importance.
(b) Distinguish between laminar flow and turbulent flow Write briefly on the following:
i. Friction factor chart
ii. Velocity distribution in laminar flow
iii. Velocity distribution in turbulent flow.
6. A regenerative heater is packed with a bed of 6 mm cubes. The cubes are poured into the cylindrical shell of the regenerator to a depth of 3.5 m such that the bed porosity was 0.44. If air flows through this bed entering at 25oC and 7 atm abs and leaving at 200oC, calculate the pressure drop across the bed when the flow rate is 500 kg/hr per square meter of empty bed cross section. Assume average viscosity as 0.025 cP and density as 6.8 kg/m3.
7. (a) Water flows through an orifice of 15 mm diameter in a 75 mm at a rate of 600 cm 3/sec. What is the difference in level on a water manometer connected across the orifice? The discharge co-efficient may be taken as 0.62 and the viscosity of water is 1Cp, and density is 1000Kg/m3.
(b) How does a U- tube manometer function and derive an expression for P.
8. (a) Discuss in detail the construction and working of a centrifugal pump.
(b) Explain the performance curve of a centrifugal pump.