JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
1. (a) List out the different accessories of plane table Surveying. Also explain the purpose for which they are used.
(b) State Three point problem in plane Table Surveying and describe how it is solved by Bessel’s method.
2. (a) Explain the procedure of chaining. How will you record the measurements of
Chain Survey. Enumerate the points to be kept in view while booking the field notes.
(b) A Survey line BAC crosses a river, A and C being on the near and opposite
banks respectively. A perpendicular AD 40m long is set out at A. If the bearings of AD and DC are 380 451 and 2780 451 respectively and the chainage at A is 862m. find the chainage at C.
3. (a) What do you understand by “leveling”? What are its objects?
(b) With the help of a neat sketch explain the following terms:
i. Level surface
ii. Level line
iii. Horizontal plane
iv. Horizontal line
4. Figure 4 shows the existing ground levels on a 15m square grid for a plot of land which is to be excavated to a uniform level of 100m. Calculate the volume of earth required to be excavated.
5. Balance the traverse by transit rule
Line Length, m Latitude Departures
AB 200 -173.20 m +100.00
BC 130 0.0 m +130.00
CD 100 +86.60 m +50.00
DE 250 +250.0 m 0.00
EA 320 -154.90 m -280.00
Determine the closing error by any one method and adjust the traverse. Also
compute the corrected consecutive coordinates of the traverse stations.
6. A tacheometer is used to obtain the difference of levels between two points A and
B. The instrument is set up at another station C, and the following observations were taken.
Staff Vertical angle Stadia readings
A -6030? 3.50, 2.815, 2.130
B -8030? 1.870, 0.990, 0.110
If the R.L of A is 100.0000, determine the R.L of B. also determine the horizontal
distance of A from C. Take k=50.0 and C=0.50
7. (a) What are the usual difficulties in ranging simple curves and how are they obviated.
(b) Calculate the ordinates from a 150m long chord at 10m interval to set out a
simple circular curve of 80
8. (a) What is Geodetic Surveying? How it is different from Plane surveying.
(b) Explain the importance of electronic surveying in the field of surveying.