JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
1. Write short notes on:
(a) Unit operation
(b) Dimensionless equation
(c) Dimensional equation.
2. Water flows through a 0.203m diameter pipe, with an average velocity of 3.6 m/sec.
There is a sudden enlargement to 0.406 m diameter pipe. What is the power loss due to the sudden enlargement.
3. (a) Discuss about turbulent flow in pipes and closed channels.
(b) Discuss about universal velocity distribution in turbulent flow of Newtonian fluids in smooth pipes with profiles.
4. (a) Define the terms ,Sonic flow, Subsonic flow, Supersonic flow, Mach Number and Mach angle.
(b) Explain about stagnation temperature.
5. Explain how form drag can be minimized.
6. (a) How is bed expansion characterized in particulate fluidization?
(b) A bed of beads, 8 ft deep is to be backwashed with water to remove dirt. The particles have a density of 1.24 g/cm3 and an average size of 1.1 mm. Estimate the minimum fluidization velocity using at 200C and also the velocity required to expand the bed by 25 percent. Water viscosity is 1 cP, density 1 g/cm3 and the sphericity of beads may be taken as 1.0, voidage at incipient fluidization is 0.40.
7. What are the different types of reciprocating pumps and how do they work?
8. A lube oil(specific gravity 0.8) is flowing through a 15 cm steel pipe at 1500 LPM. A 10 cm orifice attached to a mercury manometer is placed in the pipe line and the orifice
coefficient may be taken as 0.62. If the manometer leg is inclined at an angle of 300 to the horizontal, what would be the manometer reading along the sloping leg?