JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES, Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Write about the scope of environmental studies.
(b) Discuss in detail the importance and components of environmental studies. [8+8]
2. (a) Discuss in detail the water cycle.
(b) Write about sustainable water management. [8+8]
3. (a) Define ecosystem and list components of an ecosystem.
(b) Briefly explain the manner in which ecosystems are destroyed by human activites. [10+6]
4. (a) Explain the concept of in-situ conservation of biodiversity. Illustrate your
answer with examples.
(b) What is an Integrated Protected Area System? How do these contribute to preservation of biodiversity? [10+6]
5. (a) Write a note on hazardous wastes and the environmental problems and health risks associated with these.
(b) Describe the causes of the Chernobyl Disaster and what are the lessons to be learnt from this incident? [8+8]
6. Discuss briefly the provision of the following Acts:
(a) The Water ( Prevention Control of Pollution ) Act ,1974
(b) The Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution ) Act, 1981
(c) The Wildlife Protection Act 1971
(d) The Forest Conservation Act of 1980 [4+4+4+4]
7. What are the environmentally related reasons for the occurrence of various types of cancer? How can these be prevented and controlled? [6+10]
8. (a) Explain the aspects to be studied and the procedure for collecting information when you want to document the environmental features and resource assets of a water resoure ecosystem during a field visit.
(b) Describe, in the format given above, the features of any such ecosystem you have studied during field visit. [8+8]