JNTU JNTU Previous papers
Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
ADVANCED UNIX PROGRAMMING
1. Explain the following commands with syntax
2. What is the purpose of Stream editor? Explain which option should be used to place the contents of a file f1 after line.
3. Write a program to a single command-line argument that specifies a file descriptor and prints a description of the file flags for that descriptor.
4. What is the problem with returning an error from the ‘exec’ system call? How can the kernel handle this problem?
5. (a) Write in detail about the interrupted system calls.
(b) Write about the kill and raise functions.
6. (a) Explain in detail about the requirement of file locking mechanism.
(b) Explain in detail about fcntl( ) function.
7. (a) Draw and explain about the “Kernel data structure for a semaphore set”.
(b) Write about the semaphore adjustment on “exit”. Explain about the importance of SEM UNDO
8. (a) Explain in detail about the “Kernel structure of the shared memory segment”.
(b) Explain about the “shmflag values for shmget system call”.