JNTU Previous Exams Papers B Tech Steel Making Apr/May 2008
JNTU B.Tech Examinations, STEEL MAKING, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain the principle of steel making process in detail
(b) Name the various presently existing major steel plants in india, indicating their location and explain the steel making practice in these plants. [7+9]
2. What do you mean by deoxidation? What are the main requirements of a deoxidiser?
Mention four simple and complex deoxidisers and explain about them in detail. 
3. Compare and contrast acid bessemer process of steel making and basic besser process of steel making giving the details of composition of pig iron used, refractories used, composition of slags produced. advantages and limitations of the process etc. (Also give the sketches of the converters) 
4. With the help of a neat sketch, describe Kaldo process giving a note about plant operation, hot metal charge, process control, sequence of removal of impurities, limitations of the process etc. 
5. Write short notes on :
(b) Transformers and power ratings and consumption.
(c) Electrode support assembly [5+5+6]
6. Write short notes on :
(a) Stopper lever assembly
(c) Preparation of teeming ladle
(d) Sliding gate valve assembly [4+4+4+4]
7. Compare killed steels, semi-killed steels and rimmed steels. 
8. (a) What is the principle of VAR process ?
(b) What are the advantages of VAR process ?
(c) Describe the VAR process. [4+4+8]