JNTU B.Tech II Semester INFORMATION SECURITY Examinations, Apr/May 2008
(Computer Science & Engineering)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Define a Security attack. Explain in detail about the various types of attacks an Inter network is vulnerable to.
(b) Write about Man-in-the-middle attacks. [10+6]
2. (a) Differentiate between the symmetric block ciphers and symmetric stream ciphers.
(b) Write about Key distribution. [8+8]
3. (a) Alice and Bob wish to share private messages, where each of them of two separate keys generated. What kind of strategy would you suggest to ensure confidentiality, key management and authentication for the conversation between Alice and Bob? Explain the strategy and also highlight the design issues related to the strategy proposed.
(b) Describe the X.509 version 3 in detail. [8+8]
4. (a) What is Radix-64 format? Explain how both PGP and S/MIME perform the Radix-64 conversion is performed.
(b) Describe the five principal services that Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) provides. [8+8]
5. (a) Discuss about the documents regarding IPSec protocol?
(b) Describe any four ISAKMP payload types listing the parameters of the pay-load? [8+8]
6. (a) Draw the diagrams showing the relative location of security facilities in TCP/IP
protocol stack? Discuss the advantages of each?
(b) What is SSL session? Can a session be shared among multiple connections?
What are the parameters that define a session state? [8+8]
7. (a) Draw the figure showing VACM logic and explain?
(b) The encryption scheme used for UNIX passwords is one way; it is not possible to reverse it. Therefore, would it be accurate to say that this is, in fact, a hash code rather than an encryption of the password. [8+8]
8. (a) List the characteristics of a good firewall implementation?
(b) Explain in detail the two broad categories of statistical anomaly detection? [6+10]