JNTU Previous Exam Papers B.Tech 3rd Year Linear And Digital IC Application Nov 2008
JNTU, B.Tech 3rd Year LINEAR AND DIGITAL IC APPLICATION, November 2008
( Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology and
Computer Science & Systems Engineering)
1. (a) Why is it necessary to use an external offset voltage compensating network
with practical OP-AMP circuits? 
(b) Compare and contrast an ideal OP-AMP and practical OP-AMP. 
(c) Explain the precautions that can be taken to minimize the effect of noise on an OP-AMP circuit. 
(d) Calculate the effect of variation in power supply voltages on the output offset
voltage for an inverting amplifier circuit. 
2. (a) Explain how multiplier can be used to modulate and demodulate an AM signal
(b) Discuss the differences between the differential amplifiers used in the first two stages of opamp. 
3. (a) What feedback is preferred for oscillators and why? What is the effect of negative feedback? 
(b) Design an OP-AMP based relaxation oscillator and derive the frequency of
4. (a) Explain the operation of Monostable multivibrator using 555 timer. Derive
the expression of time delay of a Monostable multivibrator using 555 timer.
(b) Design a Monostable multivibrator using 555 timer to produce a pulse width
of 100 m sec. 
5. (a) Explain in detail the following terms with reference to PLL
i. Lock range
ii. Capture range
iii. Capture transient
iv. Pull-in-time. 
(b) i. Draw the internal functional diagram of NE 566 VCO and derive expres-
sion for free running frequency.
ii. From the given component values find the free running frequency Control
voltage VC = 10.9V , VCC = 12V , R1=4.7k and C1=1.1nF. 
6. (a) Explain the operation of a delay equalizer circuit with neat sketches. Derive
an expression relating input and output voltages of the equalizer. [8+2]
(b) For the all pass filter, determine the phase shift between input and output at
f=2 kHz. To obtain a positive phase shift. What modifications are necessary
in the circuit? 
7. (a) When do we prefer H.T.L. (High-Threshold Logic) gate? And explain why?
(b) Draw the Integrated circuit of H.T.L. 3-input NAND gate, and explain its
operation with the help of Truth Table. 
(c) Find out the average power dissipation of the gate. 
8. (a) i. Compare weighted resistor D/A converter and R-2R D/A converter.
ii. Why successive approximation D/A converter is preferable than parallel
comparator A/D converter. Explain. 
(b) Draw the schematic block diagram of Dual-slope A/D converter and explain
its operation. Derive expression for its output voltage Vo.