JNTU III B.Tech II Semester Supplementary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
Petro Chemical Engineering
1. Explain Refining of Crude petroleum in detail with a neat diagram?
2. What is fractionation? Write short notes on it with a neat diagram? What is their application in petrochemical industry? Why it is preferred to other process in petrochemical industry?
3. (a) What is the temperature required for naphtha cracking?
(b) Identify the products of naphtha cracker.
(c) What are the precautions you take while operating naphtha cracking?
4. Discuss briefly about the different process used in petroleum chemical manufacture when the feed stock is naphtha.
5. (a) Dehydrogenation of butane is better to get butylenes and butadiene rather than cracking. Explain
(b) Explain the process of dehydrogenation and cracking.
6. (a) Explain the production of cumene.
(b) Explain the reactions involved in cumene oxidation.
7. Explain the difficulties involved in the production of isoprene from pyrolysis of gasoline.
8. Discuss how c8 – aromatics are separated.