JNTU Exam Papers
Chemical And Bio-Thermodynamics I Sem Nov 2008
1. An insulated and non-conducting container filled with 20 lbM of water at 680F is
fitted with a stirrer. The stirrer is made to turn by lowering a “weight” having
a mass of 50 lbM. The local acceleration of gravity is 32.00 ft/sec2. The weight
slowly falls a distance of 30 ft while turning the stirrer. Assuming that all the work
done by gravity on the weight is transferred to the water, determine:
(a) The amount of work done on the water in foot – pounds force.
(b) The internal – energy change of the water in foot ? pounds force and in Btu
(c) Final temperature of the water in 0F
(d) The amount of heat which must be removed from the water to return it to its
initial temperature [3+3+3+3]
(e) The total energy change of the universe because of
i. the process of lowering the weight,
ii. the process of cooling the water back to its initial temperature, and
iii. both of these processes taken together. 
2. Steam is flowing through a horizontal, well-insulated 3-in. – ID iron pipe, 1500 ft
long. The velocity at the entrance to the pipe, where the steam is dry and saturated
at 150 psia, is 100 ft/sec. The steam discharges from the exit of the pipe into an
adiabatic reversible turbine which exhausts at 14.7 psia. The steam leaving the
turbine is in the dry-saturated condition.
(a) Calculate the horsepower produced by the turbine.
(b) Represent by a sketch on T-S plane the change in the state of the steam as it
flows through the pipe and the turbine.
(c) What is the state of the steam entering the turbine? [6+6+4]
3. A pure gas flowing at a flowrate through a well-insulated horizontal pipe at high
pressure I throttled to a slightly low pressure. The gas obeys equation of state
P(V-b)=RT where b is a positive constant. Does the gas temperature rise or fall
by throttling? 
4. (a) Write the fundamental excess property relation.
(b) Write a note on hydrogen bonding and charge transfer complexing. [8+8]
5. Develop equations that apply to the limiting case of binary LLE for which the ?
phase is very dilute in species 1 and the ? phase is very dilute in species 2. 
6. Write short notes
(a) Gibbs Free Energy
(b) Applications of chemical Equilibrium [8+8]
7. Discuss in detail the relation between TCA and cell membrane. 
8. Discuss in detail that electrons in the organic substrate is transferred to oxygen.