JNTU III B.Tech Semester Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
( Common to Computer Science & Engineering and Information Technology)
1. What is a process. List and explain various process utilities with suitable examples.
2. (a) Explain the different approach taken by diff command to display file differences.
(b) Describe ‘comm’ command. Explain the output with -1,-2, or -3 options in ‘comm’ command.
3. (a) Explain about the usage of multiple commands on the shell command line
(b) Write a menu driven shell script which has following options.
i. Contents of /etc/passwd
ii. List of users who have currently logged in
iii. Present working directory
Make use of case statement. The menu should be placed appropriately in the centre of the screen and should be displayed in bold using the tput command.
4. (a) Explain about different conditional expressions available in Bourne shell.
(b) Write a shell script which receives two filenames as arguments. It should check whether the two file’s contents are same or not. If they are same then second file should be deleted. Use ‘cmp’ command to compare files.
5. Explain the differences between fgets, gets system call.
6. Write a program which used both kill and raise functions.
7. Write in detail about locking regions.
8. (a) What is the data stored by the kernel when a semaphore is created.
(b) What is the system call that is used to create a shared memory segment and
explain each field in detail.