JNTU Non Ferrous Extractive Metallurgy Exam Paper Apr-May 2008
JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, Non Ferrous Extractive Metallurgy Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Define and explain the terms smelting and roasting. Explain why smelting of roasted copper ore is done.
(b) Draw a neat sketch of reverberatory furnace? Describe the various parts in it.
Explain the working of the furnace for smelting operations. [6+10]
2. (a) Bring out the differences between Zinc and iron blast furnaces.
(b) Name some non-ferrous metals whose ores are available in the form of sulphides give their sulphide ores and give therir chemical formulae. [10+6]
3. (a) What are the important uses of lead metal?
(b) Give the chemical formulae of the following minerals of lead:
(c) What are the various impurities with which lead ores are associated?
(d) Give the important locations, where lead are available. [5+4+4+3]
4. (a) With the help of a flow sheet, explain the production of aluminium from high silica bauxites.
(b) What is the predicted consumption of aluminium in India? What is the installed capacity of a aluminium in India? Why the full capacity production of aluminium is not possible in india? Explain. [12+4]
5. (a) Explain the effect of viscosity and surface tension of the electrolyte on the Electrolysis of magnesium.
(b) Draw an electrolytic cell and explain the construction. [8+8]
6. (a) What are the uses of titanium and titanium dioxide? What are the sources of Titanium?
(b) Write down a flow sheet for the extraction of Ti. [8+8]
7. (a) What are the primary and secondary sources of uranium?
(b) Explain the chemistry of alkali leaching of uranium concentrates.
(c) What are the advantages of alkali leaching over acid leaching? [4+6+6]
8. (a) With help of a flow sheet explain the flotation of converter Cu- Ni matte.
(b) Give a flow sheet for the extraction of Nickel from oxide ores. [8+8]