JNTU Kakinada EEE Syllabus Computer System Organization
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
III Year B.Tech EEE I-Sem T P C
4+1* 0 4
COMPUTER SYSTEM ORGANIZATION
· Is to acquaint budding engineers with the basic principles of organization, operation and
performance of modern-day computer systems.
· It covers all aspects of computer technology, from the underlying integrated circuit technology
used to construct computer components, to the use of parallel organization concepts in
combining those components.
BASIC STRUCTURE OF COMPUTERS:Computer Types, Functional unit, Basic OPERATIONAL
concepts, Bus structures, Software, Performance, multiprocessors and multi computers. Data
Representation. Fixed Point Representation. Floating – Point Representation. Error Detection codes.
REGISTER TRANSFER LANGUAGE AND MICROOPERATIONS:Register Transfer language. Register
Transfer Bus and memory transfers, Arithmetic Mircrooperatiaons, logic micro operations, shift micro
operations, Arithmetic logic shift unit. Instruction codes. Computer Registers Computer instructions –
UNIT – III:
Memory – Reference Instructions. Input – Output and Interrupt. STACK organization. Instruction formats.
Addressing modes. DATA Transfer and manipulation. Program control. Reduced Instruction set computer
MICRO PROGRAMMED CONTROL:Control memory, Address sequencing, microprogram example,
design of control unit Hard wired control. Microprogrammed control
THE MEMORY SYSTEM:Basic concepts semiconductor RAM memories. Read-only memories Cache
memories performance considerations, Virtual memories secondary storage.
INPUT-OUTPUT ORGANIZATION: Peripheral Devices, Input-Output Interface, Asynchronous data
transfer Modes of Transfer, Priority Interrupt Direct memory Access.
PIPELINE AND VECTOR PROCESSING:Parallel Processing, Pipelining, Arithmetic Pipeline, Instruction
Pipeline, RISC Pipeline Vector Processing, Array Processors.
MULTI PROCESSORS:Characteristics or Multiprocessors, Interconnection Structures, Interprocessor
Arbitration. InterProcessor Communication and Synchronization Cache Coherance. Shared Memory
1. Computer Systems Architecture – M.Moris Mano, IIIrd Edition, PHI/Pearson.
2. Computer Organization and Architecture by V.Rajaraman and T.Radhakrishnan, PHI Publications.
1. Computer Organization and Architecture – William Stallings Sixth Edition, PHI/Pearson.
2. Structured Computer Organization – Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 4th Edition PHI/Pearson.
3. Fundamentals or Computer Organization and Design, – Sivaraama Dandamudi Springer Int.
4. Computer Organization – Car Hamacher, Zvonks Vranesic, SafeaZaky, Vth Edition, McGraw Hill.