JNTU Kakinada EEE English Skills Lab Syllabus
JAWAHARLAL NEHRU TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
I Year B.Tech EEE T P C
0 3 4
ENGLISH LANGUAGE COMMUNICATION SKILLS LAB
The Language Lab focuses on the production and practice of sounds of language and familiarises the
students with the use of English in everyday situations and contexts.
1. To expose the students to a variety of self-instructional, learner-friendly modes of
2. To help the students cultivate the habit of reading passages from the computer monitor,
thus providing them with the required facility to face computer-based competitive exams
such GRE, TOEFL, GMAT etc.
3. To enable them to learn better pronunciation through stress on word accent, intonation,
4. To train them to use language effectively to face interviews, group discussions, public
5. To initiate them into greater use of the computer in resume preparation, report writing,
The following course content is prescribed for the English Language Laboratory sessions:
1. Introduction to the Sounds of English- Vowels, Diphthongs & Consonants.
2. Introduction to Stress and Intonation.
3. Situational Dialogues / Role Play.
4. Oral Presentations- Prepared and Extempore.
5. ‘Just A Minute’ Sessions (JAM).
6. Describing Objects / Situations / People.
7. Information Transfer
9. Telephoning Skills.
10. Giving Directions.
The English Language Lab shall have two parts:
i) The Computer aided Language Lab for 60 students with 60 systems, one master console,
LAN facility and English language software for self- study by learners.
ii) The Communication Skills Lab with movable chairs and audio-visual aids with a P.A
System, a T. V., a digital stereo –audio & video system and camcorder etc.
System Requirement ( Hardware component):
Computer network with Lan with minimum 60 multimedia systems with the following specifications:
i) P – IV Processor
a) Speed – 2.8 GHZ
b) RAM – 512 MB Minimum
c) Hard Disk – 80 GB
ii) Headphones of High quality
• Cambridge Advanced Learners’ English Dictionary with CD.
• The Rosetta Stone English Library
• Clarity Pronunciation Power – Part I
• Mastering English in Vocabulary, Grammar, Spellings, Composition
• Dorling Kindersley series of Grammar, Punctuation, Composition etc.
• Language in Use, Foundation Books Pvt Ltd with CD.
· Oxford Advanced Learner’s Compass, 7th Edition
• Learning to Speak English – 4 CDs
• Microsoft Encarta with CD
• Murphy’s English Grammar, Cambridge with CD
? English in Mind, Herbert Puchta and Jeff Stranks with Meredith Levy, Cambridge
Books Suggested for English Language Lab Library (to be located within the lab in addition to the
CDs of the text book which are loaded on the systems):
1. Spoken English (CIEFL) in 3 volumes with 6 cassettes, OUP.
2. English Pronouncing Dictionary Daniel Jones Current Edition with CD.
3. Spoken English- R. K. Bansal and J. B. Harrison, Orient Longman 2006 Edn.
Page 22 of 85 2007-08
4. English Language Communication : A Reader cum Lab Manual Dr A Ramakrishna Rao, Dr G
Natanam & Prof SA Sankaranarayanan, Anuradha Publications, Chennai
5. Speaking English Effectively by Krishna Mohan & NP Singh (Macmillan)
6. A Practical Course in English Pronunciation, (with two Audio cassettes) by J. Sethi, Kamlesh
Sadanand & D.V. Jindal, Prentice-Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
7. A text book of English Phonetics for Indian Students by T.Balasubramanian (Macmillan)
8. English Skills for Technical Students, WBSCTE with British Council, OL
DISTRIBUTION AND WEIGHTAGE OF MARKS
English Language Laboratory Practical Paper:
1. The practical examinations for the English Language Laboratory shall be conducted as per the
University norms prescribed for the core engineering practical sessions.
2. For the Language lab sessions, there shall be a continuous evaluation during the year for 25 sessional
marks and 50 year-end Examination marks. Of the 25 marks, 15 marks shall be awarded for day-to-day
work and 10 marks to be awarded by conducting Internal Lab Test(s). The year- end Examination shall
be conducted by the teacher concerned with the help of another member of the staff of the same
department of the same institution.