JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
EXPERIMENTAL TECHNIQUES IN METALLOGRAPHY
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) Compare and contrast chemical and electrolytic etchings in detail.
(b) Explain the procedure of electrolytic etching in detail.
2. (a) Why dielectric coatings are required? Explain.
(b) How dielectric coatings are deposited under vacuum?
3. (a) Explain optical anisotropy in detail.
(b) Explain schematically how the optical anisotropy is produced by etching.
4. (a) Draw the microstructures of pearlite for different numerical apertures in the increasing order. Explain the differences in the microstructures.
(b) Explain the concepts
i. Vertical resolution
ii. Curvature of field.
5. (a) Describe Aperture diaphram in detail.
(b) What is field-of-view diagram? Describe in detail.
6. (a) Describe the construction of electron microscope in detail.
(b) Describe the functioning of electron microscope in detail.
7. (a) What are the uses and advantages of dark-field images?
(b) Explain the calibration techniques of electron microscopy.
8. (a) What do you mean by one sited thinning? Explain.
(b) When the samples are one side thinned? Explain.
(c) Explain the electron microscopy of one side thinned samples.