JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
LIGHT METALS AND ALLOYS
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. Explain electrolytic reduction cell for Aluminum electrolysis and role of cryolite in electrolysis.
2. (a) Mention the important sources of Beryllium.
(b) Discuss the extraction of Beryllium by sulphate process.
3. (a) What type of alloys are included under the general heading, light alloys?
(b) What alloying elements are commonly used and what is the effect of alloying elements in the commercial aluminum alloys?
4. (a) Explain the Al-Si-Mg alloys with phase diagram.
(b) How Magnesium silicide improves the mechanical properties of Aluminum alloys?
5. Discuss the various joining methods used for Magnesium and its alloys.
6. (a) Discuss the applications of Titanium P/M products.
(b) Explain the mechanical and physical properties of Titanium P/M products.
7. Define the following terms:
(c) Precipitation hardening
8. (a) Critically discuss the heat treatment of Aluminum ? Copper alloys.
(b) Explain the heat treatment of cast Aluminum alloys.