JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) What is the scope of Powder Metallurgy?
(b) Compare Powder Metallurgy with other fabrication techniques.
2. Critically discuss the methods of Powder Production. What are the methods most suited for composite powders.
3. (a) Enumerate the various techniques of compaction of metal powders.
(b) Describe the different pressureless forming method for making metal powder compacts.
4. (a) Describe the sizing and coining operations.
(b) Discuss the limitations of the component shape imposed by the use of die and punch.
5. Describe four important material transport mechanisms of sintering.
6. Explain the following :
(a) effect of sintering on mechanical properties
(b) effect of sintering on microstructure.
7. Explain with the help of a flow sheet diagram the materials required and the various operations involved in the production of cemented carbide parts by powder metallurgy technique.
8. (a) What is dispersion hardening of metals?
(b) Discuss the yield, work hardening and annealing behaviour of Dispersion strengthened alloy.