JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
METROLOGY AND SURFACE ENGINEERING
1. (a) Describe briefly material used and the manufacture of slip gauges?
(b) What is wringing? Explain the procedure for wringing of slip gauges?
2. What are the essential considerations in selection of materials for gauges and what are the common materials used for gauges? Explain the various processes of manufacturing gauges?
3. Describe how liquid surface interferometer be used to measure flatness of a surface plate.
4. As per ISI specifications how many roughness grade numbers are specified? Draw the roughness symbol for each grade and indicate the roughness value?
5. (a) State clearly the way in which the micrometer dials used for different thread pitches are graduated.
(b) Explain how thread micrometer can be used to measure effective diameter of the screw thread.
6. Describe the following alignment tests on a pillar drilling machine.
(a) Parallelism of the spindle axis with its vertical movement.
(b) Flatness of clamping surface of table.
7. Describe the Parkinson’s Gear Tester. Discuss its merits and demerits.
8. List various Organic and inorganic coatings. Distinguish between Organic and Inorganic Coatings. Give their applications.