JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
TELECOMMUNICATION SWITCHING SYSTEMS AND NETWORKS
( Common to Electronics & Communication Engineering and Electronics &
1. (a) Compare the features of single stage and multistage switching network configurations?
(b) A fully connected network supports full duplex communication using unidirectional links. Show that the total number of links in such a network with n nodes, is given by 2×nC2.
2. (a) Show that time division switching networks are more cost effective than space
(b) An analog non folded time division space switch is to be designed to support 32 inlets and outlets each . Assuming bidirectional traffic,
i. What is the time duration that is available for exchanging samples for one Connection ?
ii. What is the size of the control memory if the switch is output controlled?
iii. What is the clock rate?
3. (a) Explain about the techniques used to meet the resistance and attenuation
constraints when subscriber need to connect to exchange which is beyond the maximum prescribed distance?
(b) In a national transmission system the characteristic impedance of the 4-wire circuit are 1000 and 1200 respectively. The average phase velocity of the signal in the circuit is 3 × 107m/s. If the largest distance of a connection is 300 km, determine the attenuation to be inserted in the circuit.
4. (a) Describe typical telephone traffic pattern on a working day?
(b) An exchange serves 2000 subscribers. If the average BHCA is 10,000 and the CCR is 60%, Calculate the busy hour calling rate.
5. (a) Explain dedicated client / server networks.
(b) Explain layered network architecture.
6. (a) What is Internetworking ? Explain in how many ways networks differ? What are the functions of Gateway?
(b) Distinguish between transparent and non-transparent fragmentation?
7. (a) Explain objectives and services of ISDN.
(b) Explain protocol architecture of ISDN.
8. (a) What are fields of Section & Line over head? what is its significance?
(b) What are the fields of Path over head ? what is its significance?