JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
1. (a) What are the various types of cutting fluids? Explain.
(b) What are the essential properties of cutting fluids? Explain.
2. (a) What is the function of back gears? explain.
(b) Differentiate between the motion of cross slide and a compound rest.
(c) What are different types of lathe bed ways? Why there is a gap in the bed?
3. (a) Differentiate between shaper, planer and slotter as regards relative tool and work motions
(b) Classify and list shapers and planers.
4. (a) What do you understand by number size drill and letter size drill?
(b) What are the probable effects of incorrect drill feed rates?
(c) What happens to drill point when drill speed is too high?
5. (a) What are the various work holding devices used in milling? Explain their relative applications and disadvantages.
(b) What are the differences between compound indexing and differential indexing? Explain the relative merits.
6. (a) What are the advantages and disadvantages of centreless grinding.
(b) Explain abrasive belt grinding.
7. (a) List out honing parameters and explain them.
(b) Give the complete classifications of broaching machines.
8. (a) With the help of a neat diagram, explain the principle of Mutually perpendicular planes.
(b) What are ‘support pins’ and ‘jack pins’? Where and how they are used?
Explain with the help of neat sketches.