JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
1. (a) What are throw away carbide tips? What are their advantages? What are their basic requirements?
(b) Discuss important properties of cutting tool.
2. (a) Define: speed, Feed, Depth of cut and machining time for plain turning operation
(b) Explain with neat sketch how thread cutting operation is done on by lathe.
3. (a) Describe various slotting tools and slotter operations.
(b) Describe various feed movement mechanisms in slotting machine.
4. (a) What do you understand by number size drill and letter size drill?
(b) What are the probable effects of incorrect drill feed rates?
(c) What happens to drill point when drill speed is too high?
5. What do you understand from the term ‘Kinematic Scheme of milling cutter’.
Explain in detail?
6. What are the various types of surface grinding machines? Describe their principle,
advantages and limitations.
7. (a) What is lapping? Write in detail any three types of lapping.
(b) Write a brief notes on the following:
i. Super finishing
ii. Cylindrical super finishing
iii. Flat and spherical super finishing
8. (a) What are the important points to watch with respect to clamping?
(b) Sketch and explain various two way clamps.