JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
ADVANCED COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE
( Common to Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology
and Computer Science & Systems Engineering)
1. (a) Briefly explain the characteristics of memory devices in a memory hierarchy what is memory interleaving?
(b) Differentiate between high-order and low-order memory interleaving.
2. (a) Classify pipeline processors according to the levels of processing giving examples of each class.
(b) What are reservation tables in the context of pipelines? Why are they required? Give a sample pipeline with both feedforward and feedback connections and show how a reservation table is created for it.
3. (a) Discuss the issues involved for Inter? PE Communication in array processors.
(b) What is a Multistage Network? Describe different types of multistage network.
4. (a) Describe various associative search operations.
(b) Describe data routing, comparison and interchange operations performed in the M(4,2) sorting algorithm with an example.
5. (a) Design 8 x 8 omega network with 2 x 2 switches.
(b) Distinguish the performance of delta network and crossbars.
6. (a) Explain the L-M memory organization for a multiprocessor system, with the help of a diagram.
(b) Describe language features that can exploit parallelism in multiprocessor environment.
7. (a) Discuss the advantages and potential problems associated with the data flow Computers.
(b) Explain in detail about the architecture of Dennis data flow machine.
8. (a) Explain the Cray X-MP architecture.
(b) How multitasking is done in Cray X-MP ? Explain.